Removing a grub screw on a Union Jubilee spindle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavalette

Reaction score
I have some play along the axis of the bed on the spindle of my Union Jubilee. The belt is also very worn, so I thought that I would replace the belt and sort out the play at the same time.

The problem is that hex socket of the grub screw on the inboard side of the column is stripped. Any ideas on how to remove it?

I was thinking along the lines of drilling it out a little and then using a screw extractor. However the grub screw is quite deep in the hole and I fear that the taper on the screw extractor may foul the sides of the hole. I haven’t got a screw extractor, so before I go out and buy a set has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

I think I'd go along with the epoxy route too. The problem I've found with stud/screw extractors is that to work, they need to bite into the sides of the hole in the screw, and in the process, are inclined to swell the threaded element enough to make it jam in the hole :( . Especially difficult when the thread is deep in a hole anyway.
I guess if all else fails, careful drilling out with a drill just smaller than the root diameter of the thread would be an option.

You could try using the tang of a file which we used to do years ago. Grind the tang back until it just fits the stripped hex socket, then tap in with a MALLET, ( NOT a hammer) until it is tight. Then, using an adjustable spanner grip the file just where the tang meets the file body. I have used this method dozens of times in the past with success, although it's not guaranteed, but then you can still drill it out.

Back