Removal of Old Finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchallender

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've not posted for a while due to work, but thankfully I've now got a new project which means I can spend more time in the workshop :D

The project is to revamp an old set of pine wardrobes, this will include painting them to match in with some existing furniture, which brings me to my problem.

How do I remove a wax finish? I'm assuming that it will be a lot of elbow grease but is there a product I should be using to help remove the wax? I've sort of have recollections of someone telling me about a white spirit mix and wire wool? but I'm not sure as it was over a beer and many moons ago !! :oops:

As always many thanks for your help in advance

rgds

Darren

a lot of wax finishes use turps or spirits as a solvent so you can use meths or similar to help soften them during removal - 0000 wire wool does work well and will be fine on pine (not a good idea on woods with a high tannin content)

if the meths and w/wool doesnt work you are looking either at nasty chemicals (nitromoors etc), sanding, or scrapers or a combination of the three.

As wax is one of my favourite finishes Darren I have to remove it on occasion and use cellulose thinners.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back