Relocation to Birmingham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraxinus

Established Member
Reaction score
With some trepidation I'm planning on moving up to Birmingham in early August to live with my Girlfriend. The jewellery quarter to be more precise.
Aside from the task of finding a job there are a few other things that I was hoping someone with a little local knowledge can help point me in the right direction with the following;

I think I'm going to need some storage space for some of my tools, as I don't want/need to be carrying around my whole collection. Was thinking of a secure container type yard, rather than just a garage.

Having been asked to do a fair few built in wardrobes, shelves and suchlike recently I would be looking for a local supplier of sheet goods. Mostly MR MDF to be honest.

And lastly, any recommendations on where can I get my blades sharpened. Thought I drove past a tooling shop the other week, but would it's always good to hear a positive review.

1. I may be able to help you as I'm moving hopefully around the same time into my nan's house in Great Barr (about 5 miles from Jewellery Quarter) and I'll be building a huge workshop fairly imminently after that.

2. Birmingham Boards in Oldbury (Dudley Road).

3. Precise Saw & Tool Co.Ltd, Unit 3 Deykin Ave, Witton. 0121 327 7733

HTH :)

That certainly does help MMUK, thanks for your thoughts. I'll bear that one in mind. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Is the Birmingham boards place also known as Arnold laver on the ring Way? Looks like it's in Oldbury but wouldn't want to get the wrong one.
Thanks for the Info!

Ace :)
I take it that it's a price on request type place to which you need an account, as their website only shows the product brochures.

fraxinus":2mb375fa said:
Ace :)
I take it that it's a price on request type place to which you need an account, as their website only shows the product brochures.

They don't tend to advertise prices as they fluctuate. I've found them to be pretty good if you know them though :)

flying haggis":2mb375fa said:
if you help build the workshop, could you store tools there :wink: :wink:

Haha! Maybe :wink:

fraxinus":3nzkbuax said:
That thought did flash across my mind!

Storage won't be a problem as long as you don't have enough to fill a commercial workshop lol. It's only going to be about 4m x 6m and will have to house my bikes as well......

Just thought of something else I might need to utilise. Does any have any recommendations on a waste transfer company. As I understand that Birmingham has the same rules on civic sites as we do here. In that you are only allowed so many visits per year.

fraxinus":11fs8mey said:
Just thought of something else I might need to utilise. Does any have any recommendations on a waste transfer company. As I understand that Birmingham has the same rules on civic sites as we do here. In that you are only allowed so many visits per year.

That's ridiculous. Do they want to encourage fly-tipping?

fraxinus":39w8bg8o said:

Yep, you're allowed a maximum of 12 visits per year in a van up to 3.5t but you have to book in advance. However, the only depot without a 2m height restriction is Tyseley which is just under half way out from the city towards Solihull, just off the A41 and just by Tyseley station.

Thought thAt was the case, not much use for work. But That is their aim, to dissuade people from using the civic sites for commercial use.
There are a few rubbish yards here that weigh your vehicle before you dump the rubbish and charge you accordingly. Are there any similar business up in Birmingham?

MMUK":3a2ugodf said:
1. I may be able to help you as I'm moving hopefully around the same time into my nan's house in Great Barr (about 5 miles from Jewellery Quarter) and I'll be building a huge workshop fairly imminently after that.

2. Birmingham Boards in Oldbury (Dudley Road).

3. Precise Saw & Tool Co.Ltd, Unit 3 Deykin Ave, Witton. 0121 327 7733

HTH :)

I'll be coming around to supervise Steve... Lol!
best of luck...

John 8)

Since starting this topic, my circumstances have changed slightly due to a recent referral by a friend of mine. I was passed on the details of a joiner who was retiring and wanting to clear out his machinery. Having always wanted to have some more of the shop based machinery for a little while, its an offer I couldn’t turn down. Especially as I couldn’t get anywhere near that amount of new machinery for the same money.
The list of items that i have purchased includes the following a robland startrite k210, a eumenia radial arm saw, drill press, extractor unit, and a large router table with a beastly old bosch router. Plus I already have a record Bandsaw and my own tools for general carpentry.
Since making these purchases and moving to Birmingham I have been hunting down a workshop. Over the last few days I have found two suitable units but am currently torn between two of them.

Unit one is 350sq ft, access is 20m down a wide alleyway, at around £60 a week.
Unit two is 530 sq ft, can park up right outside the doors, has rubbish collection and is £86 a week

i can’t make my mind up if these plus points for the bigger space are worth an extra £1600 a year. The cheaper unit seems more sensible at the moment but I don’t want to regret being in the smaller space in a few months time once I have more work coming in, and have the hassle of needing to move to bigger premises again.

If you can afford it, it's always worth going for the larger space. You can guarantee you will quickly outgrow a smaller space that was just right at the time.

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. I'll end up regretting it later on down the line.
Working it out, the money I save on the cheaper workshop could be spent on time ferrying tools and materials down the alley and on costs of rubbish disposal. Plus I would need to fuss about finding a parking space as its in the Jewellery quarter area which is limited for parking.

Back