Regarding Victorian stopped chamfer skirting boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handheld router with a bearing guided cutter and use the router fence. What you will need to thick about is how to hold the skirting for cutting. You do not want to try to balance it on something as you need to concentrate on the router and stopping it tipping.

Assuming you are going to screw or nail it to the wall use the holes to screw it to something to hold it still.

Mick

I looked up router and fence - most of the router tables come with a fence but I presumer we are on about a fence attached to a handheld router - like the ones on hand circular saws…...

MickCheese":x4lgn0sg said:
Handheld router with a bearing guided cutter and use the router fence. What you will need to thick about is how to hold the skirting for cutting. You do not want to try to balance it on something as you need to concentrate on the router and stopping it tipping.

Assuming you are going to screw or nail it to the wall use the holes to screw it to something to hold it still.

Mick

Surely the purpose of a bearing guided cutter is so as not to need a fence? Why can't he cramp them down - why does he need to screw or nail them? chances are the holes will be in the wrong places. Why does he need to concentrate to stop the router tipping?- he's not running off the ends.

I've looked at the trend bearing guided cutters - I don't know if it my browser or me but I am struggling to get the dimensions of these - the chamfer I need is 13/14mm depth in to the wood.. probably was done to half an inch. The cut face is approx 20mm (some are a bit bigger)

There are a number of dimensions in the descriptions of the cutters A. B. C etc.. but no indication on the photo of the cutter as to what those dimensions refer to.. mildly frustrating!

this forum is great by the way! I'll be flying along soon - I'm going to hold the skirtings in two woodwork vices - one at each end of a wheeled bench that I can pull out into the middle of the workshop - I am just building such a hence - agricultural but solid!

phil.p":35olgowf said:
MickCheese":35olgowf said:

Mick

Surely the purpose of a bearing guided cutter is so as not to need a fence? Why can't he cramp them down - why does he need to screw or nail them? chances are the holes will be in the wrong places. Why does he need to concentrate to stop the router tipping?- he's not running off the ends.

You're right. Doesn't need a fence but I suspect clamps would foul a continuous run with a handheld router.

I know from past experience it's quite difficult to run a router alone a long length as a novice router user without holding the workpiece firmly. Not saying it cannot be done but why take the risk. If clamps will work then great.

Mick

Argus":2w9bmkmo said:
3 Do the lot by hand. (which is what the original Victorian chippies probably did). I use that technique on furniture and described my own method (It's not Holy Writ - there are lots more ways to do it, depending on what tools you have) in a blog some while ago.

I just read that post on your blog, very interesting :D

Bearing guided cutter is certainly the easiest.
If the OP does instead have to rely on a fence with a non-bearing cutter, then from a recent bitter experience i'd advise that he makes d**n sure the fence clamping screws are really tight, and checks them regularly. The vibration caused by the impact of the cutter on the timber can loosen the clamp screws all too easily and the cut can get steadily deeper without you noticing :oops: . That was 5 metres of skirting effectively ruined.....

Oh dear!! I'm leaning towards the bearing guided cutter.. Just need to check the sizes for the chamfer I need.. As I mentioned earlier it's not clear on the diagrams I'm seeing.. Even on the Trend website.. It might be my browser

Latest posts

Back