Record V Axminster Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked up the 310 on axminsters... That magnifying glass is completely different to my 350. Even though its the same table and fence, my peeka boo is inset into the fence and held in with a wire circlip.

Can you remove that top cover and superglue it in lower down? or is the glass in that cover? If so then you can reduce the size on your scroll saw to fit the hole cos its only plastic.
Definitely a "didnt think of that" moment for the designer. But cant think why they would have two different lenses for the same fence unless yours is an older model and the online pic hasnt been updated.
I bought my 350 new last january (2016)

Claymore":txqepw81 said:
Neil S":txqepw81 said:
Another difference is the base. I think the Axi comes with a cabinet base which is great for storing stuff in. But if you want the saw to be mobile you might have to spring for one of their mobile bases as well. The Axi mobile base costs £60 if I recall but only has two swivel castors. I built a mobile base including 4 swivel castors for about half that. But I am only able to fit a 90mm deep draw in my base as the castors mech lifts up into the rest of the base when not in use.
The Record mobile base also costs about £60 as well but it is a bit rubbish (so I've read, no experience myself).

-Neil

Hi Neil the Axi saw doesn't have a cupboard :( just a set of metal legs but you can buy some wheels for around £26.
Cheers
Brian
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... saw-508205

Ah my mistake, I was confusing it with the smaller HBS250 which I was also considering at the time.
I'm glad I went with a 12" bandsaw in the end but there is a huge difference in weight going from 10" to 12" bandsaws. I guess when you step up to that size the available blade sizes increase and that means that the saw must be a lot stronger construction.
One other thing i liked about the Record is the bandsaw wheels looked to be more substantial with a bit more weight in them. they also claimed the record was dynamically balanced wheels which has been done on my saw as there are parts of the wheel drilled out on the reverse to balance the weight. The other manufactures might also do this but I don't think I read them saying so when I was looking.

-Neil

Dynamically balanced wheels are standard. If they werent the machine would dance all over the workshop. Record just make a point of stating it.

I've had the Record RSBS14 for a good few years and it has been pretty good, albeit with a few issues that need sorting from time to time. It's more than earned it's initial cost many times over. Recently got some Tuffsaw blades which have improved it some more. Would recommend Record bandsaws as good entry level machines. I don't think they are much different in price from when i bought mine, which obviously makes them much cheaper in real terms.

Have you ever watched when you get a new tyre fitted to your car? they use a machine to spin the wheel and add weights accordingly. Thats dynamically balanced.
On bandsaw wheels, usually on a cast iron wheel they drill out excess (you'll see the holes) and on an alloy wheel add weights with super putty

Not easy to do at home.

Static balance can be done on the machine if it was needed but like I said, out of balance wheels would make it almost impossible to use the machine due to excess vibration.

Back