Record PT260 advice/ help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a record PT260 planer thicknesser for which I could use some advice...

I am using the thicknesser function but the thicknesser bed is reluctant to move. When doing so it tends to move a bit before the handle is met with resistance and a sort of ratchety clicking occurs. At this point it stops moving or only move at the front right corner twisting the bed. The threads seem clear and I can't see any obvious reason for the lack of movement.

I didn't set up the machine so am not super familiar with how the whole linkage works and wonder if that is where the problem may lie.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

In fact, help may not be needed. I did some quick investigating and found that the cogs that drive the chain have become almost completely rounded some how!!

It's the first drive cog, ie the first on the chain. Alan has indeed been helpful and spares are on their way. Looks like it will be a fiddly job indeed to change them though!!

well done, at least they have spares! With some luck, someone having had similar problems may be along soon,
And be able to help with the cog replacement.
If it's any help, When I get at mine, I take off the fence and put it upside down in the bench.
Blow and clean it all out, find the joiner, if none loan or buy an endless chain link remover, or press.
ensure you have a roll pin the right size to fix the new cog. take note of chain tension. should be a small amount between the up and down transition.
I have a rag around the threaded bed risers, and molegrips, and lock in place.
Mark each corner tooth with tippex, Release chain, have assistant hold free'd chain ends immediately and disengage chain carefully without moving cogs.
offer new cog beside the original and ensure the size, teeth pitch etc and the top from the bottom, if any difference.
push or drill out roll pin etc etc
HTH Regards Rodders

Dear Sirs,

recently encountered an issue with my PT260, this issue is the same as the one described in an earlier post, the chain sprocket is rounded and needs replacing to enable the thicknesser bed to rise and fall.

Can you provide any instructions/photographs if any of how you managed to repair/replace.

Cheers
Paul

Sorry i can not help but did you manage to get any photo's or instructions i have the same problem and i am sure i seen a few photo's on here of how it was done .But it might have been youtube video anyway i have searched on here and nothing and been looking at youtube for a video but no luck

Latest posts

Back