record power pt107 and jet planer opinions wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodiedonald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to choose a planer thicknesser for my workshop and am considering the record pt107. Does anyone have one and if so what do you think of it? Im also considering the 260 mm jet p/t.

Its not for very heavy use but I would like to get a good accurate machine with no fuss setting up etc. which will last. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Donald.

Hi,

Not sure about the RP, but I have the Jet PT260 and find it an excellent solid machine. Changeover from planing to thicknessing modes takes seconds. The only fault I can find, which has also been reported by others is the fence being slightly less than flat. In practice this hasn't made any difference to the results I get from the machine. Would rather it had rubber feed rollers, but that's just my personal preference, although haven't really had too much issue with them marking the wood.

The little aluminium blade setting jig supplied is a complete waste of time, better off with a piece of wood and pencil marks. I use a pair of vernier blade setting jigs with mine and can change all three blades in about 20 mins.

If you do get the Jet, make sure you get the optional thicknessing depth readout, it's excellent and very accurate one set up.

You'll definitely need a 16 amp supply for it, preferably on a 'C' curve breaker. It won't run from a 13 plug.

It's worth looking at Peter Parfitts review on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTkYUCX3ao if you haven't already.

Hope this helps
Simon

Back