Record DML18SH-SK Starter package

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsea_uk

Reaction score
Hi.

New to the hobby and was just about to buy an Axminster Hobby Series 1218vs and then saw this advertised.

This starter pack advertised (with supposedly £121 of rrp - yes i do take that with a large pinch of salt).

Now I'm a bit undecided ? Swivel head or variable speed ? Axminster or Record ?

(I have been keeping and eye out for a second hand lathe and nothing local thus far).

Any advice gratefully received.

Hello Chelsea uk,
The question your asking is vast, huge almost impossible to answer directly. It depends on a massive amount of factors. Some examples.
Will you enjoy and stick with it, or will it be not for you.
What is your budget.
How much space do you have for equipment you need a lot.
How much time will you spend turning.
What do you wish to turn.

Im not trying to be awkward simply helpfull. You need to ponder and research go and see and feel, join a club whatever it takes to increase your knowledge.
Others may be able to advise where you can find a club near to you.
What I can tell you is that there is no comparison between the Ax and the record they are so very different.
Im actually not sure im helping you, nothing will replace personal knowledge and experience.

Regards.

Rend.

Buying your first lath is a big thing,you are buying something that you don,t really know what you want.
Join a club first is the best thing you can do, i did not i wish i had.Starting off with wrong equipment can
give you the wrong impression of what is a really fanstic hobby
If there are any evening classes or courses in your area they are well worth looking imto

I wish you the best of luck :)

Geoff

Might also be worth considering used. Can't actually believe I just said that considering the amount of work I have had to do to get my old lathe running properly but for similar money to what you are talking about you may be able to get a much more capable machine. One of the best places to pick up kit is at a club. Older members who no longer have their health often sell on good kit at good prices to club members. It is probably a better way to buy than taking pot luck on eBay. The other advantage with used is that you can probably sell it on for minimal loss if you decide it is not for you. A new machine will depreciate more.

You also need to budget for all the other kit.... if you get into wood turning it can be quite expensive. I started out on a borrowed lathe so was eased into the cost.

I have not tried the record but have used very similar to the current mini Axminster lathes. They are really quite good but they will severely restrict what you can take on in size.

BM

Latest posts

Back