Record Chuck Jaws on an Axi Chuck & Pen jaws for a Mill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Two related questions:

I've got an Axminster 100 chuck with C Jaws. I've got into pen turning and would like to get the Pen Jaws that Record make. Is there any way of using these on my Axi chuck?

Also I'm going to have a go a making a Salt and Pepper Mill, I'm thinking that I drill a 25mm hole from one end, turn it around and the pen jaws could be used inside the hole and be expanded to hold it whilst drilling the hole from the other end. Anyone know if that would work?

Hi

Pen jaws, in my opinion, are a gimmick, any suitable extended nose jaws can be used by placing the corners of the blank in the gaps between the jaws - pen jaws have a very limited application, extended noise jaws a much wider ones.

Regards Mick

Do you have an example based on the Axminster range? That would solve the issue of having to look for an adapter.

Would these do: http://www.axminster.co.uk/100mm-spigot-jaws-810067

810067_xl.jpg

one tutorial that I saw on pepper mills used a jam chuck.

I am going to make a couple shortly, and was going to use the extended nose jaws on my record chuck.

Spindle":3vidquat said:
Hi

Pen jaws, in my opinion, are a gimmick, any suitable extended nose jaws can be used by placing the corners of the blank in the gaps between the jaws - pen jaws have a very limited application, extended noise jaws a much wider ones. Regards Mick

I don't agree with that Mick though pen jaws aren't necessary to drill the blank they certainly are more accurate. 4 jaws are fine if the blank is perfectly square or oversize but 2 jaws hold an out of square blank exactly centre and if you have very little "meat" to play with so are easier to use IMHO.

I have a Axi chuck with various jaws and a Record SC3 with pen jaws I also have a Meddings drill press but all my blanks are now drilled on the SC3 and not a single failure.

All that said, it's easy enough to make your own with some aloy angle, theres a tut somewhere I downloaded before I bought mine.

Not sure I would attempt to use the pen jaws in an internal recess as the OP asked however.

cheers
Bob

I currently drill pen blanks with my drill press but it's not as accurate as id like and the idea of pen jaws is appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One method is to make a wooden disc with a tenon to fit your chuck & then drill & chisel a suitably sized square hole that tapers towards the centre. The taper acomodates various sizes of blanks (within reason).

When drilling long pieces it is advisable to centre mark both ends rather than hoping the chuck jaws will do it for you. Once you have drilled one end there is no reason why you shouldn't use internal jaws as long as the other end is centred. Don't use too much force. It's very easy to crack the work using internal jaws.

marcros":293sbvps said:
this is the tutorial that I have seen. It is probably the one that Bob has also seen. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articles/ ... k_jaws.htm

Thanks Marcros - that's looks interesting and is certainly easier than I thought it would be. I had visions of forges, anvils and milling machines!

Robbo3":2lpi1eov said:
One method is to make a wooden disc with a tenon to fit your chuck & then drill & chisel a suitably sized square hole that tapers towards the centre. The taper acomodates various sizes of blanks (within reason).

When drilling long pieces it is advisable to centre mark both ends rather than hoping the chuck jaws will do it for you. Once you have drilled one end there is no reason why you shouldn't use internal jaws as long as the other end is centred. Don't use too much force. It's very easy to crack the work using internal jaws.

Thanks - that makes sense

marcros":24yqpmy9 said:
this is the tutorial that I have seen. It is probably the one that Bob has also seen. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articles/ ... k_jaws.htm

Yep that's the one Marcros

I had dug out some alloy angle and printed off the tut when I decided £25 was worth shelling out for the jaws as I was short of time, ( that happens when you retire :lol: )

I don't agree with that Mick though pen jaws aren't necessary to drill the blank they certainly are more accurate. 4 jaws are fine if the blank is perfectly square or oversize but 2 jaws hold an out of square blank exactly centre and if you have very little "meat" to play with so are easier to use IMHO.

Hi

I can't see this :? - four jaws will be as accurate as pen jaws and more versatile - please give an example of where this will not be the case

Regards Mick

I can see the logic in two. If you have an oblong rather than square blank then two jaws will mean you'll hit the centre whereas 4 will potentially mean you'll have jaws putting pressure on the side and if it's only just off square then it could well apply pressure to the edge of the corner.

Hi Mick

If you look at the link Marcros gave for the DIY pen jaws it shows an exaggerated pic of how a 4 jaw can be less accurate than 2 jaws. However it works out on paper it doeas make a difference if the blank isn't square, the alternative is of course to make sure they are square but I don't. Some of the exotics you buy in certainly aren't either!

Each to his own but works for me so a worthwhile buy in my case and I have no need to justify it as if it didn't work it would be in a drawer along with the many items I have which were a waste of time. The fact it's in constant use speaks for itself. Before buying the pen jaws I tried holding them in the 4 jaw chuck then made a "vice" for the drill press so I have tried the various options.

The tutorial means that if inclined, little or no money needs to be spent in any case so worth a go.

Spindle":x7g24cfz said:
Hi

Not in my head

View attachment 4

Regards Mick

I think that drawing isn't why you'd get the jaws will have V's in them so you'll put a corner in each. If you do that then you'll end up with another corner of the blank outside of the V and getting pushed.

I would draw what I mean to illustrate it but if I'm honest it's too much like hard work! :)

Hi

And this is how an oblong blank will be gripped in 'pen jaws':

Oblong.png

You can use extended jaws in this manner

Oblong 2.png

Or this

Oblong 3.png

It's all down to personal preference, but in my opinion there is no advantage to buying pen jaws over a set of extended nose jaws unless all you want to use them for is driving small blanks, (in which case there is a cost saving - which should be considered in the light of lack of versatility).

Also note the jaws in the link Marcros provided are different to those referenced by the OP - however they are the type I would recommend sourcing.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Oblong.png
    Oblong.png
    3 KB · Views: 441
  • Oblong 2.png
    Oblong 2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 411
  • Oblong 3.png
    Oblong 3.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 411
The jaws I've posted above don't have a V shape as you've drawn it. It would be a point which would mean it would hold on the flat face not on the corner. If it was square it wouldn't matter as 4 sides would touch but if it's oblong the widest sides would touch and not the narrow. This means it could be off centre - as shown in the photo. I can see how if it was perfectly oblong and you had jaws as drawn that it would be centred but if the sides are all different sizes then I can see it being off centre.

I think it's all pretty minor though. It's only if you had very little tolerance on your blank it would be an issue.

I might try the jaws. From Axminster that I posted for my pepper mill and see how it works for pens!

Latest posts

Back