Recommended Apps ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been to the Google Playstore to get an App.
The page gives me Apps recommended for me - most are predictable based upon my past usage etc. But top of the list is a pedometer app - how did Google know that I walk a lot? Any thoughts?

My only thought is that it measures the speed my phone travels between telecom masts as the max strength of signal transfers from one mast to the other. I can't decide if this interesting or frightening and is probably both.

Brian

Wuffles":3cnd3g26 said:
You will need to be logged in for this link to work, but the first time I saw this I spat feathers:

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

Oh!
Apparently the relevant intelligence agencies don't need to use bugs to track their targets these days as they are considered ancient technology, and nearly everyone's location is traceable thanks to our personal mobile phones. :shock:
Now where did I put my tinfoil hat?

I was playing some old Judie Tzuke tunes on my iTunes player the other day. When I logged into my You Tube account there were a string of JT videos suggested!!!!

Graham Orm":wofxdlyx said:
Wuffles":wofxdlyx said:
You will need to be logged in for this link to work, but the first time I saw this I spat feathers:

It shows me in Rio, which is where I told Face Book I live.

I didn't think Facebook and Google would be sharing data. Mostly shows me walking a dog in the middle of the Bristol Channel.

Now I'm over 50 I need something like this to remind me where I've been. when I first looked at the map I was convinced I'd not been to Ireland since I had a smart phone, but Google knows best, was in Dublin last year.
On the other hand I really never have been to Gloucester Asbestos Ltd

Google frequently has me driving on/in the North Sea. Makes me feel like James Bond so it does.

Apparently I've never been anywhere, ever. Which is nice to know :)

Wuffles":xslmfm4l said:

I keep trying to turn that off, but I just logged in and apparently it has tracked me as recently as the 16th of March. I'm certain I've turned it off half a dozen times. It's ridiculously accurate for me, too.

Just tried the link - it tells me 'no location history found'. BUT I very rarely use the phone to make calls - Billy no mates - but it is always with me.

Perhaps they are using/holding info on me that they are not disclosing.

Brian

LinkedIn is another insidious social media site. I registered with the basic details several years ago when I was job-hunting but took great pains to exclude my own details in contacts and mail from them. Happened to be looking for someone the other day and so logged in. Saw a link saying 'You may know these people' and so out of curiosity had a look. About 50-60 people going back in time over ten years or more. People from companies that I used to work for. People I'd had a brief email conversation with. So it means that my details are still in their contacts, LinkedIn got stuck in to them and did what it says on the tin.

What about apps that are relevant to woodworking, does anyone have recommendations for any? Any good ones for geometry, wood, etc.

I use an app called balusterpro to work out the spacing for spindles. Put in a measurements and voila, accurate spacings.
Just need to check the 100mm rule on some of the turned spindles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the subject of what Google knows / can work out ... perhaps scary but quite interesting that my phone tells me where I parked the car (if it's away from home).

Back