Recommend me a 6" bench grinder please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

The title says it all. My Silverline grinder has never been great but now it's on the verge of rattling itself to death. I'd like to replace it with something that's better balanced (yes, I appreciate that the wheels themselves play a large part in that...)

Any suggestions please?

Hi

With respect to bearing and general quality, you get what you pay for. However, for hobby use all machines can be 'fettled' to an acceptable standard.

Get a dressing stone and ensure the wheel fits the shaft as closely as possible, (pack with tape).

A more important consideration in my opinion is to have rigid suitable rests, unless you plan to use alternate ones.

I have two Record Power ones, (six and eight inch versions with wide white wheels), and have no complaints.

I also have some very cheap ones with grey wheels, but again they do the necessary.

Regards Mick

I'd be tempted to get a Metabo;

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Meta ... %20Grinder

Metabo tend to have good reviews from metal workers and they generally swear by the bench and angle grinders. It will certainly be my next purchase when my crappy Clarke Pro finally admits defeat and just gives up entirely.

That said, the Record range looks fairly competent and sturdy. Plus it has a thumbs up from Spindle up there ^.

Creusen have a long-standing good reputation. I've only ever seen one 'in the flesh', but it ran vibration-free without being bolted to the bench, which impressed me. Not the cheapest, but for someone looking to buy once and forget for a few decades, probably falls in the category of "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten".

That, or an Ebay hand-crank....

Creusan are considered the Rolls Royce in the Woodturning universe but like Spindle says you get what you pay for and they are expensive. I have a Tormek which is good quality but obviously not a bench grinder and also a Record Power regular 6" dry grinder. I bought the RP 2nd hand on this very forum and it works extremely well. You can replace the white wheels with more expensive, cooler grinding Norton wheels depending on your needs. I would also echo Spindle's call to dressing and maintaining good balance. In order to reuse the Tormek jigs I bought the BGM100 kit that allows reuse of them on the dry grinder. That was well worth doing as the Tormek isn't good at removing steel fast ie shaping. It is good at removing very little metal off an existing profile ie sharpening. So my point is an inexpensive , though not rubbish grinder can be added to and will work well.

I bought the Crusen 8" which is outstanding. Vibration free and runs true. They often come up on auction sites for very little. I would definitely buy the same if I were in the market again.

Latest posts

Back