Recomendations for Carving Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I find I need some carving chisels, can anyone suggest a good place to start

Many Thanks

Bean - I went into this years ago and it's a minefield :shock: with a vast amount of different shapes etc to choose from. I think you need to look at the type of work you intend to do and go from there. If a basic set is needed then a variety of simple gouges of different sweeps would get you started, then a few slip stones for sharpening (and a good leather strop) and a decent lignum mallet (hard to find these days). Might also worth going into your local second hand shop to see what's available, brand new kit can run into hundreds very easily with a chance that you will buy kit that only gets used very occasionally - Rob

Hi Bean,

Might be worth having a word with ColinC. He uses a lot in his restoration work and also makes some of his own from things like old spoon bits (they are very good :wink: ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the replies, I need a fairly basic set 2 or 3 gouges to hollow out some shapes.
My very basic set has done ok for the last few years but I now feel that i need something better. I had considered the flex cut chisels as i very impressed with thier drawknife.
Any one else use them

I love Dastra very much and if you look for that item in ebay.de you can find nice lots. In the last times I bought many Pfeil tools from Dick fine tools. They are cheaper than Dastra but they worth the money you pay.
they come handled and sharpened

cheers

Dastra still makes great chisels, check out http://www.dastra.net/DE/ I love them, but found them all used on ebay or from other old tool sellers.

I also like Addis chisels, at least equal to the Dastras; but since they are no longer made.... The Pfeil are also very good performers, and are available new.

And then there are the old brands you can find, usually in ones and twos, on ebay: Herring, Witherby (not sure whether I have any W. carving chisels), James Cam (swan logo), and probably a couple I can't remember right now.

Pam

Back