R.Groves & Sons Tenon Saw WIP FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyEssex":2xui2nvq said:
Just hit a bit of a snag. Thought I would put the groves saw in the saw clamp and it wont fit :oops:

there is not enough plate clear to cut the new teeth. The brass back is hitting the clamp nut. So im either going to have to take the brass back off, which I dont really want to do. Or not use the clamp and use a length of battern with a kerf cut into it :?

I use that paramo clamp, and I can't get to the end of my hand saw;

ghost_saw.jpg

As you can see, the (ghostly) saw handle fouls on the vise framing.

BugBear

Thats a great picture =D> =D>

I did try to do the same but couldn't work out how you done it :lol: So I reverted to paint, the yellow rectangle is the brass back hitting the clamp :cry: I was hoping to use the saw clamp, but have bodged together a Lie Nielsen-ish style one for now

Attachments

• ghost_sawrr.jpg
    ghost_sawrr.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 723
Well the file arrived from WH this morning so I printed off the template had jumped into it. TBH im not very impressed with the Bacho file, the front is chipped and crumbling away before it's even touched the saw, is that normal for a file or have I got a faulty specimen lol.

I started with one full stroke to make the mark, I then whipped away the template and worked my way down the saw with one full stroke per tooth.

I have messed up a few teeth by the spacing so be kind its all in the learning process lol :oops:

Had to leave it to go to work so will carry on in the morning

Attachments

• 20140315_134440.jpg
    20140315_134440.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 20140315_130324.jpg
    20140315_130324.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 710
hi danny i also had the same problem with bacho files they are not very good
look for a 5" double extra slim file for the job
nice work with the saw mate

Well I set out to finish the saw this morning from where I left off yesterday. I made a right mess of it yesterday and decided to start from scratch this morning. I filled the badly shapped teeth and this time was a lot more methodical about it all. I took my time and this is the end result. It cuts nice but there are some things I would do differently next time round.

Attachments

• 20140316_122425.jpg
    20140316_122425.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 673
  • 20140316_122412.jpg
    20140316_122412.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 673
  • 20140316_122215.jpg
    20140316_122215.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 673
  • 20140316_115410.jpg
    20140316_115410.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 673
A splendid result, sir!

The good thing about it is that not only do you now have a very nice saw in full working order, but you've overcome the challenge of sawfiling, so can now keep it in tip-top order for as long as you need it. Sawfiling, like sharpening, is one of those things you get better and better at with practice.

The only danger to watch out for now is that you'll spend all summer trawling the local car-boot sales, and finish up knee-deep in reconditioned vintage saws!

Thanks CC, im really happy with it. It really is a lovely saw to use, just spent some time cutting up scraps and its great. There is a huge difference to my dirt cheap hard point, the heaviness takes some getting used to lol

I'm late to this party, it appears. Anyway, I threw a big brass back saw into my (Woden) saw vise. Fits fine?

I'm assuming my Woden is VERY similar to your Paramo vise, so I don't see
why your saw wouldn't fit.

saw_vise.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• saw_vise.jpg
    saw_vise.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 663
Cheshirechappie":k2garpdf said:
The only danger to watch out for now is that you'll spend all summer trawling the local car-boot sales, and finish up knee-deep in reconditioned vintage saws!

Could that happen? *innocent face*

BugBear

DannyEssex":1vv89ti0 said:
Thanks CC, im really happy with it. It really is a lovely saw to use, just spent some time cutting up scraps and its great. There is a huge difference to my dirt cheap hard point, the heaviness takes some getting used to lol

That weight is one of the things that makes the older saws such a joy to use, once you're used to it. You just completely relax your grip on the handle, and with index finger pointed forward along the blade pivot from the shoulder and elbow and allow the weight of the saw to do all the work. All you have to do is keep it on line.

One slight downside of the weight is that the saw can be a bit awkward to start - the sharp teeth dig in with all the weight on them, and the saw jams. Pushing harder just makes it jump unpredictably. The trick then is to 'take the weight off' - support the saw with a slightly tighter grip (the horns on the handle help a bit here), and glide the tips of the teeth over the job until a definite kerf is established, guiding it with the thumb of your off hand - rather as if you're bringing a plane in to land, and want a soft touch-down. Once there's a defined kerf, you can remove your off hand, relax your grip on the handle and let the saw do the work again.

Late, too. But might help the next time:

DannyEssex":olezbtil said:
Thought I would put the groves saw in the saw clamp and it wont fit :oops:

There is not enough plate clear to cut the new teeth. The brass back is hitting the clamp nut. So im either going to have to take the brass back off, which I dont really want to do. ?

Sounds like that problem:

kluppe+Knuppel_17.JPG

1/4 hours with the big scrub file later

Kluppe+ohne+knuppel_02.JPG

Cheers Pedder

DannyEssex":maoa0219 said:
Mine is like peddlers. Will do that when I get a chance

I'll check mine for file marks! Curious that the makers were making vises that can't hold back saws.

BugBear

Thanks for the tip pedder

Sorry for the poor pictures but just rushed out to have a look, and decided to file off the protruding part, and it now takes the Groves saw, so happy days lol

Thanks again guys

Attachments

• 20140317_175321.jpg
    20140317_175321.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 779
  • 20140317_175513.jpg
    20140317_175513.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 779
  • 20140317_182602.jpg
    20140317_182602.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 779
  • 20140317_182539.jpg
    20140317_182539.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 779
Just to add, the saw plate is just shy of 2 1/2" from the tip of the teeth to the bottom of the brass back

EDIT sorry Pedder, been calling you peddler

Hi Danny,

no problem, that happens every now and then to me. :lol:

You should clamp the saw shorter. The bottom of the gullet should be only as far away from the top of the vise as you plan to file. Reduces noise and more important it saves the file.

Cheers
Pedder

Back