Quick cheap DIY dust collection system VIDEO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a Thein based cyclone system that dumps all the vacuumed waste in a bin of your choice rather than into the shop vac. Thus no more vac bags required, a convenient method of storing waste, no more blocked filters. Will work with any vac, takes about 20 minutes to make and costs about £10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopsGH-Yzf4

Great idea using a 'trugg' as the baffle-nice one Graham, and if I'm not mistaken that looks like an 'Addis' blue bin ?

I've just given my little workshop an 'air-dusting', I have one of these vacs from Lidl which has an outlet blower port, 10 mins blowing down (with a mask on) and 10 mins with the vac left running to filter all the dusty air while I grabbed a coffee
file.jpg

barkwindjammer":2kamm2ye said:
Great idea using a 'trugg' as the baffle-nice one Graham, and if I'm not mistaken that looks like an 'Addis' blue bin ?

I've just given my little workshop an 'air-dusting', I have one of these vacs from Lidl which has an outlet blower port, 10 mins blowing down (with a mask on) and 10 mins with the vac left running to filter all the dusty air while I grabbed a coffee
file.jpg

Nice one buddy, how much was it?

barkwindjammer":1ziffnm0 said:

has it got a blow function on it- i never read the instructions. what do i do to use it?

At the opposite end of where you see the hose plugged in on that pic (for normal hoovering) there is a screwed port right next to the outlet filter, you cant miss it :D , it has a one way valve just inside (no need to do anything other than take your hose off the front and move it round the back.
Cant remember what this cost Graham-about £40 ish-well worth the money, it has a 'tool' socket on it and switches the vac on when you pull the trigger on your sander/router/bandsaw etc, its also a wet vac too, they do 2 sizes mines is the larger one.

That looks like an ingenious low tech arrangement Graham. Tempted to try that. Thanks for posting.

I bought a similar vacuum from Nettos a few years ago, cost less than £40 and can also be used for liquid spills.

Stew

Graham,
That is an awesome solution - especially the speed and cost of manufacture! I have been mithering about whether or not to spend a small fortune, or try some complicated solution - now I don't have to do either.
Thanks for posting it up.
Greg

gregmcateer":qrj5nk2f said:
Graham,
That is an awesome solution - especially the speed and cost of manufacture! I have been mithering about whether or not to spend a small fortune, or try some complicated solution - now I don't have to do either.
Thanks for posting it up.
Greg

You're welcome mate. Only negative is if the tube blocks the bin can collapse. Either choose a stronger bin than I did or do as I am and put in a reinforcing strip round the inside of the bin.

I've also uprated the feed tube into the bin to 1 1/2" from 1 1/4

This looks fantastic, I have only just seen the video when I did a search for info on Thein Separators.

I have a question that you may or may not be able to help with...

Would the in tube and out tube stand being 4", with a suitably sized drum? I am looking at options for collecting dust from the bandsaw and chips from the thicknesser, ideally using a single machine. I have in mind using it with a camvac, or equivalent 2hp, twin motored thing.

Don't know, but if you increase the suction you will have to use a significantly stiffer bin than I have. I have replaced the one in the video with a thicker walled version as it kept collapsing.

I imagine the speed required to cause the cyclone is generated by a narrow pipe with high speed air flow. The air flow would be much slower using a 4" pipe......Only one way to find out.

Be sure to let us know how you get on Marcos. :wink:

2 questions:

1. what does the baffle do?
2. does it stop working as soon as the dust fills up to the base of the baffle/trug?

1. The baffle keeps the debris in the bottom of the bin.
2. Don't know never had it that full, I assume so.

So, the higher the base of the baffle the better? ie longer stints without emptying? Nice

wabbitpoo":2c19irw2 said:
So, the higher the base of the baffle the better? ie longer stints without emptying? Nice

I haven't experimented, but I imagine that there is a limit as to how high you can lift the baffle before the cyclone effect becomes ineffective.

Latest posts

Back