Quangsheng Shoulder Plane Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcros":32axnaqk said:
Ed,

Nor am I so don't worry. I think that I may be in the market for a shoulder plane and am using this to see whether it will do the job that I have in mind for it. I don't have any other shoulder planes (nor have used one) so my criteria are:

1. If I had paid for this plane would I be happy with what I received and
2. Will it do what I need it to or would a different plane suit better.

Don't be put off if you fancy having a go with it- all you need to do is cut a tenon, rebate etc for it to be tried in anger.
Thanks for the suggestion Mark,

I have a little Anant Bull Nose plane that I bought from Rutlands, it seems okay but have never used it in anger. All my rebates are cut mechanically and going forward (if I can persuade my wife) my tenons will be cut using a Festool Domino Jointer. I do a test piece first so any irregularities are checked out first and then I run the work piece. I have very little (if any) cleaning up to do afterwards.

I'm not sure how mush benefit I would get from trying out the plane, I am not used to sharpening plane irons, I have had a no 4 plane for years that I could never get to work properly (I only found out this week that the plane iron was in upside down), funnily enough it cuts very nicely now :lol:

marcros":2f7hf744 said:
Toby

The plane is on its way to you by recorded delivery- I have put it in its original packaging and all into a mailing bag. I have chucked a couple of spare bags in, in case you need one to forward it on- not everybody has packaging to hand! It has been sent second class recorded so will need a signature.

mark

Thanks mate, I appreciate the packaging :) very kind of you.
Look forwards to having an go with this plane. My next post will be my short review. I only have 2 shoulder planes to compare it to and some basic experience with other models.
I'll give my honest opinion.

Thanks again Mathew, a gentlemen as allways

Plane recieved today. I'll have a play tonight, but tomorrow is when I will really use it.

TT

hi gents ive had a good play with this plane cleaning up some rebates,
to start i have used various shoulder from low to high end, today i also used my verities medium and infill shoulder and a wooden one so i could get a feel for the differences.

first impressions when i got this shinny bit of kid out is i liked it a lot, on closer examination i found it a bit disappointing. the chamfering seemed a tad inconsistent. where the black finish is on the main body there is a sharp lip to the body of the plane, not bad but was unpleasant to know it was there, that said the adjusting mechanising is really very good and as most will know almost every feature on this plane is copied from others.
FUNCTIONALLY THIS PLANE IS EXCELLENT, worked a treat, good weight.. sadly i won't be purchasing this as i feel a original record shoulder can be had in near mint con for half the price of that in question as is a better tool suited to my likes and dislikes, maby im just a cheap ass. tho i dout it.

the fact that this is a foreign plane has no part to play in my dislike for it, i own the QS block that Matthew stocks.
i will recommend this shoulder plane to any who wants a great tool that preforms just as goos as the £££ and vintage ones. and when im at collage i will be mentioning this product to those who a seeking a good shoulder.

plane 7/10
if my opinion on this product has upset anyone i can only apologise.
thank you mathew for the chance to have a play with this,

ill post to the next in line monday morning, recorded delivery.

many thanks
TT

I haven't had a chance to post today but I will tomorrow 100% sorry to slow things down. Having a few problem at my end..

TT

Just had confirmation that the plane will be with me tomorrow, all things being equal.

Cheers, I must admit BB, I have fears of my "views" being torn asunder, never mind, I'll give it a go!

To put my name on the list:

Workshop Heaven
Marcros
Tobytools...
G S Haydon
Glynne
Mike S
Flufflinger
Noggsy
Morfa

As I'm the last person on the list (and if it stays that way) then I'll drop the plane off in Banbury when I'm passing, as I have family nearby.

G S Haydon":75ojmqye said:
It's arrived this very moment and will be posted on again on Monday
Glad it arrived safely mate, I was starting to get worried that I got lost :(

Look forwards to your review
TT

Had a couple of evenings at the bench with the plane, photos, write up and video to follow. In the post to tomorrow.

Whilst at Peter Sefton's do, I spent a bit of time comparing QS and Wood River planes. Peter was kind enough (patient enough!) to point out some of the differences between similar planes from the two brands.

The shoulder ones are very similar, the differences being (as far as I can tell) only the shape of the blackened recesses in the body casting. I think there was a slightly nicer finish to the Wood River version, but it's marginal.

Personally, I really liked the weight of the bigger WR shoulder plane - a good compromise between 'heft' and being too big. It's now on my Christmas list.

The differences between the two low-angle smoothers is striking. It is evident that the Wood River one has had more thought applied. It's obviously based on the QS original, but crucial bits like the casting, the method of iron depth adjustment, etc. are obviously Wood River specials, and show thought and care on their part.

In summary, both seem good, but I lean slightly in favour of the Wood River ones for quality. If someone gave me a QS, however (for example at Christmas ;-) ), I'd still be delighted!

E.

G S Haydon":s8aiyeew said:
Here is the video, photos and write up to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvD78bc ... N6dlbXU0mw

Can anyone help me with embedding videos? I don't like to direct traffic away from the forum.

Great review mate, like all you videos a pleasure to watch.
I'm glad someone else thought the edges where to sharp.
For nearly a Oner I think better can be had.

Thanks
TT

Hello,

The first two things I would have looked at in a shoulder plane, no reviewer so far has mentioned. Does the rear sole remain co-planar with the front, when the lever is tensioned to hold the blade? Often the fine wedge of the sole deflects under tension and needs correcting. Indeed, does the sole remain co-planar, when the mouth adjustment is moved back and forth? And the second, Is the blade the correct width for the body? They are often left a bit wide and need sizing, or else they have to be shifted side to side, to suit the side of the plane being used. For best, the blades should be a couple of thou wider each side, no more.

Graham, I think your presentation on the video was fabulous, you seem to have a natural affinity towards the camera!

Mike.

Latest posts

Back