Quangsheng No1 Smoothing Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just seen that Workshop Heaven are selling a No1 Smoothing Plane at similar dimensions to the Stanley. In his blog post Matthew mentioned the one off produced for a friend (who if I'm writing in remembering is Dodge and his son) and now there are more.

Is it wrong that at 25 and only married for 17 months that I want to buy some for my potential future children/grandkids to use? I'm worried about the lack of take up meaning that they get discontinued (the main reason the stanleys are so rare now).

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Quangsheng_No._1_Bedrock_Pattern_Smoothing_Plane.html

You remember correctly - James my lad is the proud owner of one of these which he uses all the time - they are truly beautiful little planes!

If it's not a daft question, apart from the 'cute' value, are No.1's practical for anyone with adult hands?
I have (nearly) finished making a box as a christmas gift, and was struggling with a 4 1/2 (my smallest plane excepting a block that, erm, isnt sharp enough to cut warm butter without tearout) to trim some edge banding I had purposefully applied oversize - the 4 1/2 was just too big. I wonder if a No1 held with a couple of fingers might be useful in that situation?

Cheers
Adam

Dont tell James but I have used his once or twice and yes it fits an adult hand quite nicely, imaging a block plane with a rear tote handle - as for the quality it is fantastic and the blade holds a razor sharp edge.

I know of the quality of Quangsheng - I have a No7 which apart from a few sharper edges is an absolute beaut, and far handier at small tasks than I think it has any right to be!
Im just waiting for a QS No8 and 10 1/4 :)

Cheers,
Adam

I use a Stanley no. 3 quite a lot for small stuff. I find it really easy to control. So a smaller version may be just what I need and my small helpers may be encouraged into my workshop.

Mick

I just received two No1's though the post for my boys for Christmas, I just couldn't pass on the opportunity to get them into woodworking.

I've been meaning to try out the Quangsheng range for some time, but had most bases covered, so with such an opportunity, I grasped it with two arms and to say that I'm impressed would be a massive understatement!! They're lovely little things, and can see them coming in quite handy for the odd trim and tickle, I just hope that they boys will let dad have a go from time to time!

Cheers
Aled

I am VERY happy with the QS 7 + 62 that I now own, quality wise impressive , WSH pack and post with care and promptness.

They are little beauties I'm very tempted, Aled they gotta kool Dad ya know.

I think id get more use from a QS Rebate Block Plane, I'm holding out for the post Christmas Half price sale Matthew may have mentioned the other day :ho2

I couldnt find the cooork, i'zz here somewhere............hic....couldn't let it go to wwwaste.......belch :!: :lol: .....merry Christmas ever-body............gently slides off windsor chair and under kitchen table....ZZzzzzz

Dreams of being locked inside WSH on christmas eve :ho2

Back