QR for Record DML24 modifications

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indie Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here both on here and to woodturning. I have bought myself a used Record DML24 and I am enjoying finding my way around. During use I have noticed a couple of mods I could do to it to make it a bit easier to adjust.

Is it possible to have a Quick Release lever on the nut that keeps the motor belt under tension? I'm using a spanner at the moment but it's a bit cumbersome. Also on the tool rest - I already have a QR where the tool rest fastens to the bed, but the height is done with an allen key, as it the grub for locking the tailstock sliding mech.

I'd like to know is there a kit available to upgrade all these parts? Headstock/rest height/tailstock (x2), and if not where can I find the correct bits in the correct thread and sizes.

Many thanks for reading.

Many thanks. I've measured the width of the thread and it seems about ~10.5mm, is this a M12 size? (motor & tailstock base clamp)

Indie Shed":3qwx6b7p said:
Many thanks. I've measured the width of the thread and it seems about ~10.5mm, is this a M12 size? (motor & tailstock base clamp)

Metric threads are measured as overall diameter, they may measure a small fraction undersize dependant upon quality of thread cutting.

M10 = 10mm
M12 =12mm

No doubt another DML24 owner will be along to clarify the thread standard used on the lathe.

Thanks Mod for your reply.

I take it back I have posted a stupefying dull question from the number of replies?

Morning

Not a daft question, but what colour is the lathe?

Blue may mean imperial threads but green would be metric.

Why not take off the nut and fit it to a known sized bolt? Then buy the appropriate lever.

Same applies to the toolrest and tailstock.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. The lathe is Blue, it has British Steel casting marks on the bed which I presume means it's before 1995. I can't find any other date marks other than the motor is a Brook Crompton one.

Hi,
It might be worth contacting Record Power Support - they have been really helpful with all the silly
little niggles I had.
Nothing seemed too much trouble :)
I appear not to be permitted to post a link, but their phone number is: 01264 571020

Mod Edit:- need three posts to pass the spam trap for links.

Thank you :eek:

Back