[Q] Rubber matting for workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a slab concrete floor in my shed and would like to give it some anti-fatigue covering in order to save my feet, dropped tools and keep me just a little bit warmer. As a minimum, I'd obviously have the mat in front of my workbench where I stand.

However, I've been inspired by a photo in Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book" (great book by the way). If you have it, on page 88 there is a photo of him planing whilst standing on a rubber mat. The matt extends completely under his bench (i.e., it's a large mat that covers well over the area of man + bench).

It looks neat and would provide all-round protection for dropped tool. There's a cheap one that would do the job here;

http://www.polymax.co.uk/acatalog/Polymax_Flexi.html

However, I'm concerned that placing my bench on top of a rubber mat would lead to too much shaking/movement during hand planing, etc. It's not a particularly heavy bench (a Sjobergs Nordic Plus 1450) although it's much more substantial/heavier than the cheaper look-alike benches by SIP/Sealy/Draper/etc.

Does anyone have experience of having their bench on top of a rubber mat? Does it work for you, or rocks too much? Any opinions, greatly appreciated.

My fiance recently bought me some interlocking mats bought from Decathlon that look very similar to yours Tom.

They come in packs meant for excersize equipment. He placed them around and under the workbench so the legs are clear and it works great.
I was using my workmate ontop of the mats on Monday and it wasn't wobbling. They're pretty firm.

I use my workmate on mine with no probs as well, my whole assembly area floor is covered with them.

I just don't see the point of putting thme under the main benches.

Tom

Thanks, that's interesting feedback on the non-wobbling workmates. The only reason I'm considering it under the entire workbench is because the mat I have in mind is a single piece (not interlocking squares) and so considerably cheaper.

Fromey":gabtuaf7 said:
Thanks, that's interesting feedback on the non-wobbling workmates. The only reason I'm considering it under the entire workbench is because the mat I have in mind is a single piece (not interlocking squares) and so considerably cheaper.

How did you work that out, on ebay the stuff I use will cost you £ 57.99 for 160sq ft

On the site you showed us the same amount will cost you about £ 316.00 for the same coverage.

Tom

Errrmmm, yes you're correct (although my calculation puts it at £255 for 160 sqft equivalent).

The problem is, that source is only selling batches of 160 sqft of the stuff which is rather overkill for my shed. However, with the "eva floor tile" keyword search, I've been able to find a number of different sources.

tomatwark":rezu3892 said:
Fromey":rezu3892 said:

How did you work that out, on ebay the stuff I use will cost you £ 57.99 for 160sq ft

On the site you showed us the same amount will cost you about £ 316.00 for the same coverage.

Tom

Hi

If you want solid, firm and tougher matting than anti-fatigue stuff, look at ribbed 6mm or 3mm sold off the roll and cut to length or the stuff they use for stable floors and walls - more expensive and comes various thickness sheets but can withstand horses hooves. Do a search on google - there are loads of suppliers or call in at a local riding stables.

I've had experience of both and they work very well.

cheers

Bob

cambournepete":2y9dwdsh said:
Alternatively use carpet tiles.

=; NO BLOODY WAY PETE - BAD ADVICE :| :|

Wouldn't be able to resist vacuuming them - wifie would realise one knows how a vacuum cleaner works - you can guess the rest #-o ](*,)

Bob

Lons":1m47nx4h said:
cambournepete":1m47nx4h said:
Alternatively use carpet tiles.

=; NO BLOODY WAY PETE - BAD ADVICE :| :|

Wouldn't be able to resist vacuuming them - wifie would realise one knows how a vacuum cleaner works - you can guess the rest #-o ](*,)

Bob
You could resist - it's very easy - I manage it all the time :) :) :)

Back