• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pyrography set in Aldi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Dropped into Aldi today, saw a "Ferrex Wood Engraving Set" for £10, on inspection its a pyrography tool set. Odd description. 30w iron and several bits and tips. Might be a bit rubbish but who knows, I got myself one, no intention of becoming a pyrographer (is that a real thing?) but as an add on technique for woodturning. Worth a punt for that money.

If it's the same as the one they had in a couple of years ago it is let down by poorly fitting bits, or maybe the threaded part of the iron expands too much when hot.
I found I had to keep tightening the bit with pliers whilst working, and as the threads are smaller that the Lidl version a couple of the most used ones snapped.

Apart from those issues it certainly gets hot enough to pyro with, if a bit unwieldy in the hand for fine stuff

I started out with one of these cheap and nasty tools. Its basically like drawing with a soldering iron! If the iron has a protective flange its very difficult to scribe. Also, think about the wood you intend to use it on. Passing over grain leaves usually leaves an uneven line. I eventually bought a Peter Childs, while not perfect, it gave more control.I would save the £10 and put it towards something better.
The attached photo is of a turned Lleylandii, with some pyrography I did with the Peter Childs burner, BTW, 'Potter fans' will recognise the Dark Mark and associated incantation.

Attachments

• P1020098.JPG
    P1020098.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think that I've seen a similar pyrografia set in the mighty Lidl recently here in Portugal but didn't buy it. Have since used my 18watt soldering iron and made a couple of bits for it from brass. I've finally got a logo for my work, mainly bowl's. Pretty simple, 9 dots in a grid then play join the dots to make an M. Not perfect but as it was lying around not getting too much use I've found it resourceful. Ideally something with a higher wattage or a proper professional one like at Owd Jockey has. That looks pretty intricate work, well done.
20230202_100904.jpg

Is 30w going to be enough to be useful?
I would think so. I'm using an 18 watt soldering iron. Not ideal but I think that the bits are important. I think copper is the best conductor of heat so this could help and the design also. The soldering iron is not the easiestto draw with.

I started out with one of these cheap and nasty tools. Its basically like drawing with a soldering iron! If the iron has a protective flange its very difficult to scribe. Also, think about the wood you intend to use it on. Passing over grain leaves usually leaves an uneven line. I eventually bought a Peter Childs, while not perfect, it gave more control.I would save the £10 and put it towards something better.
The attached photo is of a turned Lleylandii, with some pyrography I did with the Peter Childs burner, BTW, 'Potter fans' will recognise the Dark Mark and associated incantation.
Sycamore Is one of the easiest and most blanks you purchase are made of this.

Back