Price differences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, For Christmas I got a nice new LN plane from Axminster. I was so happy with it I decided I would like to buy more high quality planes but decided to look around for the best price. I like Axy and am happy to pay a bit more for their good customer service, but at these prices you've got to shop around. Some one on this site led me to Dictum in Germany where the prices are very competitive and with the pound so strong against the Euro at the moment even more so. For example at Axminster a Veritas No. 6 will cost you around £335, here https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woodwor ... =3cri9WbWN €259 which at todays exchange rate is about £190!! A massive difference. And Vertias no. 4 Axy £300, Dictum (approx.) £177. They also supply LN tools and others also with huge differences in price.
It's my opinion that this sort of information should be shared with the members of the forum and then each of you can decide where you want to spend your money.

Postage is only about 10 Euro, and there's also a non-sterling fee on the credit card, about 2.75%. But it still works out much much cheaper. I recently bought some stuff from Dieter Schmid Fine Tools, took a week to arrive. The order was only for about £50, so the P&P wiped out some of the price difference, but still cheaper than UK retailers.

No Adam they don't, but shipping is only about €10, which for me, living in France, is actually cheaper than Axminsters shipping costs to France. For you guys in the UK that has to be taken into consideration, but with the price differences......

Froggy":1o6ze2or said:
No Adam they don't, but shipping is only about €10, which for me, living in France, is actually cheaper than Axminsters shipping costs to France. For you guys in the UK that has to be taken into consideration, but with the price differences......

I agree the difference is substantial but I've had experience of ludicrous shipping costs from some parts of Europe and beyond. I'm also a little wary about whether the products are genuine if there is a vast price difference

Adam9453":3qfix377 said:
Froggy":3qfix377 said:

I agree the difference is substantial but I've had experience of ludicrous shipping costs from some parts of Europe and beyond. I'm also a little wary about whether the products are genuine if there is a vast price difference

Well the company has been going for over 100 years I think. And I would think LN, Veritas et al would have some thing to say if they were selling copies! Not only that but I have bought a LN Boggs spoke shave from them, and if it is a copy it's so good as to not make a difference.

I've bought a number of items from Germany and the postage costs have always been very reasonable.

Froggy":12ga4chn said:
Hi everyone, For Christmas I got a nice new LN plane from Axminster.

They didn't send me anything. :(

On a serious note I think the price difference is mostly down to volume.

Bigger countries, bigger sales, more volume, better prices.

artie":2i6m7h22 said:
Froggy":2i6m7h22 said:
Hi everyone, For Christmas I got a nice new LN plane from Axminster.

They didn't send me anything. :(

On a serious note I think the price difference is mostly down to volume.

Bigger countries, bigger sales, more volume, better prices.

I think after this thread they won't be sending me anything either #-o

Few things about Dictum.

1. Yes they are more competitive in pricing and they even do free shipping over a certain amount.
2. They have problems with their website at the moment as they recently changed it.
3. They have problems with their payment system as well.
4. Their customer service is the worst I have experienced for a good long while.

Ask me how I know? :evil:

shed9":12y56fu3 said:
Few things about Dictum.

1. Yes they are more competitive in pricing and they even do free shipping over a certain amount.
2. They have problems with their website at the moment as they recently changed it.
3. They have problems with their payment system as well.
4. Their customer service is the worst I have experienced for a good long while.

Ask me how I know? :evil:

I haven't been dealing with them that long but in that short time I have had no problems with their service or payment, but I do agree that since they changed their web page recently there has been problems with it, but then that is also the case with a lot of other on line suppliers who change their web pages. I'm not here to defend or try to sell Dictum to you or anyone else, I have no affiliation with them, I am just pointing out to those who might not know how good their prices are. However you are also correct to point out any negative experiences you have had.

Price can be a big thing in a hobby. Because that is what it is to me. May be I'm lucky as there is a place near me that has house sale's once a week. The other week a load of wood working tool's came up, and not small stuff. Large band saw £36, Bisket cutter and bisket's, thickens planer £50. Plus a load of other bit's. I'm off there next week to look out for a pillar drill. And they sell wood. £50 could get you more than you can carry away on a good day. Wish me luck.
John933

Froggy":1ixzjz99 said:
I haven't been dealing with them that long but in that short time I have had no problems with their service or payment, but I do agree that since they changed their web page recently there has been problems with it, but then that is also the case with a lot of other on line suppliers who change their web pages. I'm not here to defend or try to sell Dictum to you or anyone else, I have no affiliation with them, I am just pointing out to those who might not know how good their prices are. However you are also correct to point out any negative experiences you have had.

I agree Froggy, other companies have similar issues, that's business. However the measure of a company is how they deal with those issues.

In my experience, Dictum have shown no ability to deal with those issues in a professional customer-centric manner.

shed9":28fk3ml5 said:
Froggy":28fk3ml5 said:

I agree Froggy, other companies have similar issues, that's business. However the measure of a company is how they deal with those issues.

In my experience, Dictum have shown no ability to deal with those issues in a professional customer-centric manner.

That's a shame because I do like good customer service, which is why I buy from Axminster a lot, but personally I'm not wealthy enough to ignore these price differences regardless of customer service.

I`ve always found Dictum to be reliable and the savings are too good to ignore. Having never had any cause for complaint, I can`t really comment on their customer service.
Perhaps they`re a German equivalent of Rutlands. You either swear by them or swear at them :lol:

Back