Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much a made but restored...Found a sad old knife in a box during a cleanout at the inlaws. Thought it might be worth saving from the bin. Here are some before and after shots.
Knife1.JPG
Knife2.JPG

Very nice, and good to see a tool put back in order when before most people would have binned it.

Any ID on it ? Can't quite make out fully whats there, is it a company name ?

Now all you need to make is a holder for it.

What is the space or clearance between doors and face frame ? Must have been allot of work painting.

The doors only have about 1mm clearance, one of the reasons they wanted a bespoke one making was all the cabinets they had seen were a bit "gappy" so I had to make sure they fitted tight.

Most cupboards I make have a cockbead around the edge (and between the doors), despite looking fancier the cockbead seems to makes things easier as you kind of get a bit of wiggle room, when things are plain with clean lines there is nowhere to hide.

The doors only have about 1mm clearance, one of the reasons they wanted a bespoke one making was all the cabinets they had seen were a bit "gappy" so I had to make sure they fitted tight.

Most cupboards I make have a cockbead around the edge (and between the doors), despite looking fancier the cockbead seems to makes things easier as you kind of get a bit of wiggle room, when things are plain with clean lines there is nowhere to hide.
Spacing is nice and even and enough room for paint.

Very nice, and good to see a tool put back in order when before most people would have binned it.

Any ID on it ? Can't quite make out fully whats there, is it a company name ?

Now all you need to make is a holder for it.
Thanks. I can't make out the name either. I tried googling various combinations of what I thought it might be, but drew a blank. In this case the blade was quite thick, so plenty of scope to grind off the rust. I'm not too sure if this knife has a specific function, but it won't be used for opening paint cans, which was its previous role, by the look of it :).

Cheers
Richard

About 20 years ago a kind gentleman paid a much younger and poorer me far too much money to make him this gate, an act of quiet charity which touched my heart and paid the rent that month. I remade it for him this year as a gift. The paint finish isn't quite as bad as it looks! - it was kind of intended to be rustic. Scottish larch, drawbored loose tenons (because not enough larch) in mystery tropical hardwood from my old deck, and Johnstone's oil-based gloss which I will never use again as long as I live...

Attachments

• FBD19F4F-068D-4813-BEF8-D2895066B038.jpg
    FBD19F4F-068D-4813-BEF8-D2895066B038.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagegCFXgg.png
    tempImagegCFXgg.png
    15.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageUljpAd.png
    tempImageUljpAd.png
    17.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. I can't make out the name either. I tried googling various combinations of what I thought it might be, but drew a blank. In this case the blade was quite thick, so plenty of scope to grind off the rust. I'm not too sure if this knife has a specific function, but it won't be used for opening paint cans, which was its previous role, by the look of it :).

Cheers
Richard

Could it be BODA ? as theres a Polish knife company called that.
Their info says founded 1990, but i couldnt say as to the age of the one you have.

Just finished building a floating media console, two main purposes, one to hide plugs and cables and media player and the other somewhere for my sound bar to sit.
Threw in a couple of new (to me) techniques in this build.
Stopped dados with shoulders, they turned out orite, couple of the shoulders weren't quite as clean as I like, next time I'll definately make a jig to make holding the work peice vertiacally on table saw more stable.
Shaker style doors (I think), made using half lap joints for the frame. Quite enjoyed this, will use it again for sure. The panel of the doors is black acrylic, I though it was semi transparent acrylic, until I fitted them ha, looks good though.
First time using inset hinges too.
Overally really happy with the build, it's made the room feel a lot larger and cleared (hidden) some of the mess.
PXL_20240501_192037627.jpg
PXL_20240501_192107132.MP.jpg
PXL_20240501_192051154.MP.jpg

About 20 years ago a kind gentleman paid a much younger and poorer me far too much money to make him this gate, an act of quiet charity which touched my heart and paid the rent that month. I remade it for him this year as a gift. The paint finish isn't quite as bad as it looks! - it was kind of intended to be rustic. Scottish larch, drawbored loose tenons (because not enough larch) in mystery tropical hardwood from my old deck, and Johnstone's oil-based gloss which I will never use again as long as I live...
Nice one @jetsetwilly
Kindness reciprocated. 👌
Fred

I have never worked with Larch, is it a dense heavy wood. ? I am assuming this is European Larch.

It's possible - akthough the second to last letter looks more like an 'L'
There is a brand called ADOLA who make knives sold through Wolfswinkel GMBH. Could the 'underline' be a stylised A? The current trademark is somewhat different though.
Just my penny worth (though it's probably not even worth a penny! )

It's possible - akthough the second to last letter looks more like an 'L'

Well thats that stuffed then :LOL:

TBH that type of thing would bug the utter hell out of me and I'd probably go to extreme lengths to try to find out what the lettering is and what it refers to.

I got a pocket knife a bit back, swopped it for some old tools at an 'antiques' center. It had Rodgers and some symbols on the blade.
Bit of googling, well actually a lot of googling, to determine that 'Rodgers' referred to Joseph Rodgers of Sheffield and the makers marks of a star and a cross were registered in 1764. The company itself is at least from the very early 18th century(Although the knife itself is early 20th century, though possibly late 19th century)

" America would become Rodgers largest export market and it is claimed that it was a Rodgers’ hunting knife, given to Buffalo Bill by General Custer, which Bill used in his duel with Sitting Bull.

Rodgers focused on producing the finest quality knives and looked for the best in every aspect of knife production from materials to workmanship. Each knife was branded with the Star and Maltese Cross as a guarantee of its superb quality. It has been claimed that so great was Rodgers reputation for producing only the finest products that the word “Rujjus”, a variation on “Rodgers” entered into the Sinhalese dialect as a general expression of superlative quality "

A fair swop id say for an old American shoulder brace and a duff tenon saw :)

Cant be that keen, i was totally wrong.

Though this is the one, and they are similar in the frame
View attachment 180535

Years before I owned a pillar drill, i used to make and sell brass pipes(the smoking type) And the only thing I had in the tiny workshop was a few hand drills, the Goodell being the main one I used.

TBH honest i didnt even have a bench or engineers vice and used to hold the brass billets in the hinge side door jamb as i could use one foot to apply the pressure on the door to hold it tight, and both hands on the drill.
Not easy sometimes, trying to drill a 3" long hole with a 2 1/2mm bit.

Theres certainly a lot of history tied up with the wood trades and hand drills. But I think theres always a place for a couple even in the most modern of workshops. I've a couple of old Stanley's hanging up. a brace, which is the best tool for screwing in m12 bolts into stonework where a battery drill would struggle, and a small Stanley 803 which is very handy for small bits.
Sorry for late reply. My ISP was down (again)... Bloody hell! I am changing to STARLINK!
Where was I? :unsure: Oh yes... I admire your resourcefulness in turning a door into a vise! Very clever! Well done. I also agree that there is a place for older technology. Sometimes, it just works better than the modern stuff.
Your Goodell Pratt drill is very similar to my Millers Falls drill, and functionally identical. Here it is in pieces:
01 Millers Falls #12 Drill dsc03528.jpg

A fine story... and a fine gate... together they form a worthy compliment.
The gate is very impressive; simple yet elegant, and formidable I wager!
Best wishes...

A pen pot I made from old offcuts of oak and supposedly acacia for the bottom. 1st time doing any kind of actual joinery so I went for rebates as they seemed to be the simplest, and it meant I got to try out what I think is a luthiers rebate plane. The glue up didnt go as well as it could (who would have thought that my record no4 is a poor clamp) so I need more/different clamps. Any recommendations for clamps for this kind of project would be greatly appreciated. Despite the mistakes, it's turned out better than I expected, and I've realised that I love working with oak.
20240504_122701.jpg
20240503_201854.jpg
20240503_200708.jpg
20240502_212614.jpg

Back