Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ordered one - the inverter I'm using even has a low volt output that'll drive it. It'll look proper proffeshunul.

Thanks! here is the url ... let me know what you think :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_IYo ... lxvJ1uddcQ

thetyreman":3q54li8u said:
stuffimade":3q54li8u said:
I made this walnut glasses case, using leather as the hinge.
(i do have a build video if you are interested ;)

I'd be interested, that looks amazing, my father needs one as he keeps damaging his, I've been thinking of making him a case for a while now.

39ec550587beeb09fd2bedf017e4566d.jpg

Spoons! All hand done from various lumps from the woodpile. The shame is there's nowhere in the kitchen to mount them. Oops.

Nelsun":32y78wvl said:
39ec550587beeb09fd2bedf017e4566d.jpg

Spoons! All hand done from various lumps from the woodpile. The shame is there's nowhere in the kitchen to mount them. Oops.

Terrific work! You see a lot of spoons that are clunky and heavy, but these look really finely made. How many hours go into each one?

Aw shucks. Thanks Custard. These were my first attempts so I got quicker as I got a feel for things. Probably averages out at about 2-3 hours each from block to spoon. I avoided using anything electrical so stop cutting the front and side profiles (the handles are arched on the first 3) likely ate most of the time. I'll be looking to try some green wood once I pick up a hook knife... it's quite addictive!

Nelsun":xkrc3wcn said:
Aw shucks. Thanks Custard. These were my first attempts so I got quicker as I got a feel for things. Probably averages out at about 2-3 hours each from block to spoon. I avoided using anything electrical so stop cutting the front and side profiles (the handles are arched on the first 3) likely ate most of the time. I'll be looking to try some green wood once I pick up a hook knife... it's quite addictive!

These look great Nelsun! I'm interested in giving spoon carving a go - yours are def impressive for first attempts! Can you recommend some tools to get started with?

El Barto":hey48boc said:
These look great Nelsun! I'm interested in giving spoon carving a go - yours are def impressive for first attempts! Can you recommend some tools to get started with?
Ta very much. There's countless YouTube videos but most of them incorporate using a bandsaw; which is fine if you've got one powerful enough... but I don't. I gave Paul Sellers video a few watches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAIHRCx9R0) and had at it after a few choice purchases.

I picked up a 1" #7 sweep gouge (there are no end of different sweeps (the curve) and widths and combinations of the two) so I had to just pick one and hope for the best. A gooseneck cabinet scraper and a 28 tooth/cm cabinet rasp all from Toolnut proved their worth. A crosscut saw, some carpy bench chisels, a flat spokeshave and assorted sandpaper handled the rest. A rounded spokeshave would likely have been handy for the necks so I may force myself to pick one up come pay day ;)

Oh, and a vice! Mine is flush with the top of the bench which proved useful - watch the linked video to get some handy tips on that.

Nelsun":1w79q88x said:
El Barto":1w79q88x said:
Ta very much. There's countless YouTube videos but most of them incorporate using a bandsaw; which is fine if you've got one powerful enough... but I don't. I gave Paul Sellers video a few watches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAIHRCx9R0) and had at it after a few choice purchases.

I picked up a 1" #7 sweep gouge (there are no end of different sweeps (the curve) and widths and combinations of the two) so I had to just pick one and hope for the best. A gooseneck cabinet scraper and a 28 tooth/cm cabinet rasp all from Toolnut proved their worth. A crosscut saw, some carpy bench chisels, a flat spokeshave and assorted sandpaper handled the rest. A rounded spokeshave would likely have been handy for the necks so I may force myself to pick one up come pay day ;)

Oh, and a vice! Mine is flush with the top of the bench which proved useful - watch the linked video to get some handy tips on that.

Nice one I will check the video out, thank you. Have you thought about selling them? My mrs won £200 worth of stuff from these people a little while ago: http://www.grainandknot.com/

She was chuffed but man when it arrived the quality was so bad. Maybe that's because for the competition they sent out lower quality pieces, who knows, but they were awful.

What I'm getting at is this person sells their wares for a lot of money and from what I've seen the standard of work is not very good.

Thanks for the links Pete. I hadn't see the Ben Orford one before and it's a good 'un. It'll be a while before I can tool up (axe, knife, hook knife and yet more sharpening gear for starters) and try some green stuff. I have high hopes of finding some native wood up here from our one "forrest" which should provide some spalted goodies if I'm lucky. Then it'll be on to bowls!

That's a cracker... and pretty much exactly what I'd be aiming for. More tools; here I come ;)

Thanks Nelsun,

You don't need much in the way of tooling, a sow back gouge was the only tool for the bowl I needed to buy, but don't let that stop you!
A bowl adze speeds the process up!

Pete

stuffimade":2tpx2z3w said:
Thanks! here is the url ... let me know what you think :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_IYo ... lxvJ1uddcQ
Hi Geoff,

I think you want more flocking glue, you seem to have brushed it out too much which has left the ridges. Also, don't be afraid of putting plenty of the fibers in there and just leave it, any that are not needed will not stick and can be re-used. I use Suede Tex from Turners Retreat and the instructions suggest leaving it for at least 48 hours before tipping out the loose fibers which gives the glue time to cure properly. Who do you buy your flocking supplies from?

regards

Brian

Thanks for the tip Brianhabby! I got mine from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010TY4AZ2/ ... TE_3p_dp_1
Struggled to find a supplier so thanks for your advice on supplier also!

brianhabby":d16ot8ah said:
stuffimade":d16ot8ah said:
Hi Geoff,

I think you want more flocking glue, you seem to have brushed it out too much which has left the ridges. Also, don't be afraid of putting plenty of the fibers in there and just leave it, any that are not needed will not stick and can be re-used. I use Suede Tex from Turners Retreat and the instructions suggest leaving it for at least 48 hours before tipping out the loose fibers which gives the glue time to cure properly. Who do you buy your flocking supplies from?

regards

Brian

I made this book shelf last week, the design is from paul sellers' book working with wood 1&2 this is going to be birthday present for my brother tomorrow, my very first piece of furniture, very happy with how it's turned out, for the finish I used de-waxed shellac as a sanding sealer, sanded it to 240 grit, then 3 layers of water based gloss varnish. I'm planning on making another one soon to deeper and wider dimensions for my self, hope you enjoy the pics! cheers

Attachments

• pine_redwood_bookshelf-1.jpg
    pine_redwood_bookshelf-1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 177
  • pine_redwood_bookshelf-2.jpg
    pine_redwood_bookshelf-2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 177
  • pine_redwood_bookshelf-3.jpg
    pine_redwood_bookshelf-3.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 177
  • pine_redwood_bookshelf-4.jpg
    pine_redwood_bookshelf-4.jpg