Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this walnut glasses case, using leather as the hinge.
(i do have a build video if you are interested ;)

IMG_4697.JPG

open.jpg

leather.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4697.JPG
    IMG_4697.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 198
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 198
  • leather.jpg
    leather.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 198
In the middle of making a carving mallet using a Lignum Vitae lawn bowls ball, tried the drill press with no luck (and was a bit dodgy) so last night I made my first down and dirty / quick donut chuck for boring a hole into the ball...

a3bb996c7a80960272c5a8a6f79be348.jpg

20d086bee96f25f3744bedd2fe464921.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stuffimade":3hc7qg5w said:

Now that's one smart glasses case !

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

stuffimade":1o0b90bc said:

I'd be interested, that looks amazing, my father needs one as he keeps damaging his, I've been thinking of making him a case for a while now.

Removeable out table for my saw.

Made this so I could stash it out of the way also can be relocated quickly and easily in several positions along the main table just using a couple of bolts with wingnuts. i used a couple of lengths of 6mm x 50mm aluminium again from my stock of "treasures" :D
Can't remember where the rollers came from, aquired many years ago I cut them up to suit.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 323
Sawdust=manglitter":14rtroqy said:
In the middle of making a carving mallet using a Lignum Vitae lawn bowls ball, tried the drill press with no luck (and was a bit dodgy) so last night I made my first down and dirty / quick donut chuck for boring a hole into the ball...

Looks good, better than my method; I force the ball against the chuck with a revolving centre then grip the ball in the jaws by one of the barely there grooves. It holds it firmly enough to turn a tenon on the tailstock end so I can turn it around and hold it properly.

monkeybiter":3ni86bta said:
Sawdust=manglitter":3ni86bta said:

Looks good, better than my method; I force the ball against the chuck with a revolving centre then grip the ball in the jaws by one of the barely there grooves. It holds it firmly enough to turn a tenon on the tailstock end so I can turn it around and hold it properly.

I found that all mine have a hole below the ivory that is perfect for screw chuck

Steve

I originally tried holding it by hand and using the drill press, but the forstener bit I was using wasn't long enough so I had to do if from both ends and they didn't quite meet flush in the middle! But the donut chuck worked great, and it only took 10mins to make, just 2 bits of ply screwed to a faceplate with long enough bolts.

Anyways, it's 'turned' out quite nice. English boxwood handle. Going to be a shame to start using it! :D It weighs 1.2kg, so will using it will be cheaper than going to the gym!

ea8f35eb2a09c31f3d08f700cc2a3c4f.jpg

4fdc5125ec94909aed60428f57f7e6b9.jpg

66a9bcbec3cdd0626a25c45f1244f7d6.jpg

016a2696422612777c1e097258f15a48.jpg

2d65fe2836e214e7863c9039ca6629a8.jpg

Lons":3hlhlyd3 said:
Removeable out table for my saw.

Made this so I could stash it out of the way also can be relocated quickly and easily in several positions along the main table just using a couple of bolts with wingnuts. i used a couple of lengths of 6mm x 50mm aluminium again from my stock of "treasures" :D
Can't remember where the rollers came from, aquired many years ago I cut them up to suit.

Bob

That looks great! It reminds me that I need to sort myself out with a decent outfeed table, but it won't be anything as functional as yours!

Sawdust=manglitter":1ce3dhnd said:
Going to be a shame to start using it! :D

I doubt if the wooden chisel handles will mark that lovely LV, I don't think mine's showing much sign of use. (hammer)

:arrow: Bob (lons). Now that is a roller table =D>
I bet materials just float over that.

:arrow: SDM. That's some mallet =D>
Don't get your thumb in the way :lol:

100_7790.jpg

Made this tacho for my lathe, just need to mount it now.

The digital control on mine only give a % of the max speed. It'll be nice to know what speed I'm actually turning stuff at.

NazNomad":2de2obr0 said:
100_7790.jpg

Made this tacho for my lathe, just need to mount it now.

The digital control on mine only give a % of the max speed. It'll be nice to know what speed I'm actually turning stuff at.

From Bay of E by chance?
Interesting, will be watching for outcome :D

Yep, £6.99 delivered from Hong Kong. Made a little plywood box for it, three solder joints, works perfectly.

I had to supply my own PSU - a 9v jobby left over from something.

I just need to epoxy a tiny neodymium magnet to the spindle and mount the sensor.

Did a dry run and it's great.

I've been looking at those too - I was thinking of attaching the magnets to the pulley of my graduate - as everything has to slide off the spindle to get it out I can't attach to that.

It'll work with quite a small magnet, anywhere you can mount it that spins will work as long as you can mount the sensor so the end of it is within a few mm of the magnet.

Latest posts

Back