Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished off these 5 bandsaw boxes. The taller one I call the 'Penny Tower' as the five drawer handles are made with the old pennies (1d) and there is a secret drawer that has an old silver sixpence as the handle.
November 2017 R.jpg

Malcolm

Attachments

• November 2017 R.jpg
    November 2017 R.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 132
ro":3qtuyovh said:
El Barto":3qtuyovh said:
Wowser! That's one good looking chair. Like Custard, I really like the downward arm. What's it like to sit in?

Thanks! It's good to sit in, not uncomfortable but you can find yourself missing the lower back support that the original has (though maybe you only notice that once you've sat in both). It's much bigger than it looked on the website and probably than it looks here. I think if I were to do it again I might make it slightly narrower.

Alexam":1ua5u3n1 said:
Just finished off these 5 bandsaw boxes. The taller one I call the 'Penny Tower' as the five drawer handles are made with the old pennies (1d) and there is a secret drawer that has an old silver sixpence as the handle.

Malcolm

Very Nice I like all boxes.

MarkDennehy":1wbcispg said:
Ha! That's a nice idea for a pull Alex - how do you stop discolouration over time, epoxy coating?

Tall 2_4589 R2.jpg

After polishing, I cover with top hard-coat of clear nail varnish as the little brushes in that are very easy to use.
Malcolm

Attachments

• Tall 2017 R.jpg
    Tall 2017 R.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Tall 2_4589 R2.jpg
    Tall 2_4589 R2.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 321
Completed last months elm wall cabinet. Lovely green stripe through it.
Cant get photos to rotate
ian

Attachments

• cupcomp1.jpg
    cupcomp1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 200
  • cupcomp2.jpg
    cupcomp2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 200
Hornbeam":3deluv76 said:
ian

Very nice , and I rotated it for you.

for uk workshopw.jpg

Attachments

• for uk workshopw.jpg
    for uk workshopw.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 200
monkeybiter":3hu8vb8m said:
That's nice, I always liked the tree of life that you carved before, from Sapele I think.

Thanks. Its a shame its current owner of the sapele one I made previously (actually I think it was cedar) doesn't.

Am really tempted to buy it back to be honest. lol

Hornbeam":3b9pnbf5 said:
ian

I love the bookmatching! =D>

tony_s":3b9pnbf5 said:
Recently finished console table

Very nice =D>

_MG_6614.jpg

_MG_6616.jpg

_MG_6617 (1).jpg

A side table with maple top and sweet chestnut sides. I'm really pleased with it, though - in spite of loads of helpful advice from the forum - the finish on the top isn't as good as it should have been. I applied the shellac sanding sealer with a rag to the underside but was so slow/ it was so fast drying that when I went back to get the bits I missed, previous bits were tacky and it spoiled a little - so I applied to the top with a (cheap) brush and it left visible traces, just about (annoyingly) visible with the wax applied. Also, it was once the wax was on that, with a bright artificial light I could see the little squiggles that a ROS can make if you're not careful (which I found out about after!). Next time I'll use a decent brush and use better extraction on the sander and Abranet to see if that gives a better finish. Thanks for all the advice I got along the way in making this one.

Attachments

• _MG_6614.jpg
    _MG_6614.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 169
  • _MG_6616.jpg
    _MG_6616.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 170
  • _MG_6617 (1).jpg
    _MG_6617 (1).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 170
I love the bookmatching! =D>

Thanks.
It was all 4mm bandsawn veneer cut from a piece of 4 inch square elm I salvaged from some industrial stillages
Ian

Chris152":2tf8mwgs said:

A side table with maple top and sweet chestnut sides. I'm really pleased with it, though - in spite of loads of helpful advice from the forum - the finish on the top isn't as good as it should have been. I applied the shellac sanding sealer with a rag to the underside but was so slow/ it was so fast drying that when I went back to get the bits I missed, previous bits were tacky and it spoiled a little - so I applied to the top with a (cheap) brush and it left visible traces, just about (annoyingly) visible with the wax applied. Also, it was once the wax was on that, with a bright artificial light I could see the little squiggles that a ROS can make if you're not careful (which I found out about after!). Next time I'll use a decent brush and use better extraction on the sander and Abranet to see if that gives a better finish. Thanks for all the advice I got along the way in making this one.

Hello,

Gerrit Rietveld is alive and well!

Don't worry about the sanding sealer job, you get used to getting it on fast, try a white nylon paintbrush like those made by Wooster. They are great. But remember, it is designed to be sanded, so any imperfections go away. Put on a couple of coats before sanding, if you are unsure, and use P240 stearated paper lightly. Then put on your wax or topcoat of whatever is compatible. I would hand sand at this point, though.

Mike.

woodbrains":3572n37h said:
Gerrit Rietveld is alive and well!

I love the honesty and simplicity of his work, and of de Stijl generally - not just the furniture but the architecture and the painting. That said, I really want to develop it my own way, but at the moment just learning to work with wood is hard enough! I also like the work of the Russian Constructivists and I've done some writing on Kandinsky, but that's going to have to wait a while til it finds its way into what I make. But that's part of the plan.

I wondered about doing a second coat of sealer but thought I might just make it worse - I might practice on some scrap boards before I try again. That said, the combination of sealer and wax I was advised on had precisely the look I wanted, except for my errors. Is this the kind of brush you meant?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooster-Brush- ... aint+brush
The one I was using cost £1.25, which is pretty silly of me given the time I spent trying to get the wood looking right.

Cheers

Chris

Chris152":2sn1r7fb said:

Ah, right. NOW I understand........and can apologise for not understanding in another thread where you asked about the strength of this.

Not my thing at all, but I'm pleased it worked out well for you.

Back