Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":kbjio4bx said:
Is there a steel inner frame clad in wood? If not I'm amazed if the front rider doesn't end walking due to sag.

Or is it laninated, in which case it would be very strong and rigid. Either way, it's a great piece of work.

Jim

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2017/0 ... the-shelf/

Father's day gift (dad's been doing a law course so there's a lot of books scattered on his desk).
Walnut and oak (after the sapele-and-oak idea fell victim to my discovery that sapele is a turnip to plane without a toothed iron). Some detail carving and some cut nails to go with the whole "ancient legal library" sort of vibe. Garnet shellac on the walnut and lemon shellac on the oak to finish.

IMG_1262a.jpg

IMG_1297a.jpg

IMG_1299a.jpg

IMG_1305a.jpg

IMG_1284a.jpg

Had to keep schtum about it on the blog as well for a fortnight so he wouldn't know what I was doing :D

You realise you'll never be able to make anything smaller than that makers mark Mark? ;) Nice work mate.

Mark, that was a nice looking and handy piece of equipment for books in situ. BTW I think you must have had a unfriendly lump of sapelle it normally works OK, and your dinky workshop I think is super.

I'm in the middle of making a small cabinet from sapele and I have found that the reversing grain, particularly on the quartered boards, rewards very sharp tools and fine shavings. A closely set cap iron is also extremely useful.

tandem-detail.jpg
monkeybiter":j5y7ox35 said:
Is there a steel inner frame clad in wood? If not I'm amazed if the front rider doesn't end walking due to sag.

there is no inner steel frame - its laminated construction.. rear diagonal cross brace is an important structural element.
have see tandems without this but cannot see how they can be strong enough when going over bumpy terrain. there is a spring chain tensioner to take up the slack after assembly.

Attachments

• tandem-detail.jpg
    tandem-detail.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 454
I don't often post here but I so enjoy reading through what other people have done so I thought I may as well…

We've been wanting to create some built in cupboard space in our bedroom for some time, and with a baby due in a few months it suddenly had to happen fast!

PD_WARDROBE-1.jpg

I did a lot of reading on here and spent about two months planning. The build has taken 3 weeks, more like 4 weekends.

The house is Victorian so no surprise that the recess was far from square. In fact the walls bow in wards on the outer walls, so a large amount of time was spent ensuring the frame was all plumb. I used space plugs to fill the uneven gap on the left hand side, very clever and simple invention! Taking time to ensure square payed off as when it came to fitting the drawer runners and doors it was pretty straightforward.

PD_WARDROBE-3.jpg

The carcass is 18mm birch ply. The frame is glued and screwed, with dominoes to aid assembly. Everything was cut using a track saw, and large dados cut with my router on festool rail.
PD_WARDROBE-2.jpg

Building the drawers:

PD_WARDROBE-4.jpg

The drawers sides are 12mm birch with 6mm base. As they were going to be varnished the finish needed to be as good as possible. Everything was dimensioned on the track saw and then dado’s and rabbets cut on my router table (for the record, the Incra LS system is awesome!). I allowed enough timber to make a dummy and then refined the design based on my learnings (essential imo).

PD_WARDROBE-5.jpg

Each drawer has an allowance for 6mm dividers, hence the dados in the sidewall
PD_WARDROBE-6.jpg

I'm using Blum Tip-On blumotion runners; these give you tap to open and soft close. I did a lot of research as I've never fitted anything like this before. The guys at isaac lord were excellent and helped me ensure I got everything I needed in one order. The thing with Blum (and these runners in particular) is there are loads of configurations depending on drawer weight, length, load, and how vigorously you want the drawer to spring open. Lots to get your head around, but they work brilliantly in the end!

PD_WARDROBE-7.jpg

All of the drawers in.
PD_WARDROBE-8.jpg

Then onto machining the doors, which are made from ultralite 18mm MDF. Primed and sanded with 320, then 2 coats of dulux trade satinwood. This has produced a surprisingly good edge!
PD_WARDROBE-9.jpg

Dry fit before painting
PD_WARDROBE-10.jpg

The finished job
PD_WARDROBE-11.jpg

PD_WARDROBE-12.jpg

PD_WARDROBE-13.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone, any questions please ask... or suggestions on how i could have done it better!

philipjdall":20xqwmju said:
I don't often post here but I so enjoy reading through what other people have done so I thought I may as well…

We've been wanting to create some built in cupboard space in our bedroom for some time, and with a baby due in a few months it suddenly had to happen fast!
The finished job

sKgHrZgM8XlirUUDSfGT0ELCcbV2GVBVwACHXo25lXk

Hopefully this helps someone, any questions please ask... or suggestions on how i could have done it better!

Lovely job, but maybe missed a trick with a handy 2 drawer pull out crib and changing table for the new littl'un :)

nev":e5vo7e6m said:
philipjdall":e5vo7e6m said:

The finished job

sKgHrZgM8XlirUUDSfGT0ELCcbV2GVBVwACHXo25lXk

Lovely job, but maybe missed a trick with a handy 2 drawer pull out crib and changing table for the new littl'un :)

Added bonus: if it turns out to be triplets :shock: you've got yourself a fantastic soft-closing triple-bay crib right there ;)

Nice job Philip! Now get as much sleep as possible before the baby as you'll likely not get a long lie for about another 13 years =P~

Thanks guys

Ps - it has been confirmed we are NOT having triplets, so thankfully the three up crib will have to wait :)

Hedgehog house for Prickles :D
Inner and outer skins separated with 25mm insulation, also in the roof and floor. Wrapped from top to bottom with flashband.

n0legs":g4zsfzol said:
Hedgehog house for Prickles :D
Inner and outer skins separated with 25mm insulation, also in the roof and floor. Wrapped from top to bottom with flashband.
I didn't know there was such a thing. Do they work? [i.e. do they attract spiny normans?]

p.s. It looks very good.

They most certainly do. We have several around the garden (not nearly as posh as nOlegs' version) and at least on or two of them are used for hibernation each winter. As far as I know they don't get used during times they are active and I have never seen one used as a nest for raising young.

Most years we see three or four hogs on our lawn on at least one occasion so we must be doing something right.

We also have a hedgehog feeding station which is a whole other story involving a very greedy cat and my battle of wits with it to design something accessible to hogs and not to cats - I'm winning at the moment! When I have a few minutes I might post something if anyone is iterested.

Jim

Latest posts

Back