Portable tablesaw noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazb642

Reaction score
I've done loads of searching but I can't seem to find anything about the noise level of these saws (dewalt, Bosch, makita etc) I've currently got the old elu flip saw but only use it as a table saw, the only noise it makes is the whistle from the blade spinning!

Can anyone shed any light

Many thanks

The brush motored site saws will be very noisy. If you go onto the Makita website it will have the decibel ratings of their version on it. The others are likely to be similar if a little bit noisier.

Pretty much the only thing you can do to mitigate the noise is keep the blade(s) really sharp, and use the ones with effective noise dampening. It won't make much difference though.

Yes an induction motor will be quieter, a lot quieter when the saw is running but not working. Once it starts cutting though, most of the noise comes from the teeth and the saw plate "ringing" (vibrating). And if you're cutting thin sheet, that too, as it will act like a sounding board.

Interesting development might be the new Dewalt 60v max 210mm tablesaw. That has a new fangled brushless motor and can be run from mains with an adaptor. Basically has a similar depth of cut and overall power as Axy TS200...

There is a YouTube video of it in action and it sounds promising noise-wise...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Manufacturers are supposed to publish noise (and dust) emission levels for professional machinery - look them up in the manuals
Low noise blades make a HUGE difference
Matt

Low noise blades uses a sound deadening material in the blade to damp any resonance usually... There are also some new blades from AKE called super silent which uses TINY pcd teeth on a very thin body so the blade moves less air and hence less noise... Limited sizes available though, but unbelievable finish

ScottandSargeant":1k1ihiuf said:
Low noise blades uses a sound deadening material in the blade to damp any resonance usually... There are also some new blades from AKE called super silent which uses TINY pcd teeth on a very thin body so the blade moves less air and hence less noise... Limited sizes available though, but unbelievable finish
At about £300 a blade you might as well go and buy a saw with a induction motor :)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

What I ment was the elu saw is really quite, the whistle from the blade doesn't bother me at all! I was wondering how quiet/loud the newer portable site saws are in comparison to the elu saw :)

Bodgers":1fp9e0sw said:
Interesting development might be the new Dewalt 60v max 210mm tablesaw. That has a new fangled brushless motor and can be run from mains with an adaptor. Basically has a similar depth of cut and overall power as Axy TS200...

Wow a cordless tablesaw which people are saying runs just like the DW755. Sounds good. I don't really need cordless but hopefully its quieter too.

Scratch that, one of the youtube comments says its absolute garbage so it must be.. ;-)

Gazb642":1eie61rt said:
What I ment was the elu saw is really quite, the whistle from the blade doesn't bother me at all! I was wondering how quiet/loud the newer portable site saws are in comparison to the elu saw :)

The old ELU flip saws are fantastic bits of kit, I see plenty still appear on ebay. With an induction motor they are nice an quiet. I think induction motors are generally quite big and would get in the way for modern sliding mitre cross cuts saws -great though these new saws are, they are a lot more noisy than your saw.

RobinBHM":1o8tor1x said:
Gazb642":1o8tor1x said:

The old ELU flip saws are fantastic bits of kit, I see plenty still appear on ebay. With an induction motor they are nice an quiet. I think induction motors are generally quite big and would get in the way for modern sliding mitre cross cuts saws -great though these new saws are, they are a lot more noisy than your saw.

The Elektra Beckum range has had induction motors for ages. I've got an older one, and the direct-drive does indeed limit the thickness of stock. The body of the motor gets in the way, BUT later models have a gearbox to move the motor up, out of the way, and the newer motors are smaller diameter.

The quality of cut is brilliant (with a good blade) though.

E.

Latest posts

Back