Poplar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to build myself some tool storage and have always fancied working in Poplar to make a change from Redwood/Scots Pine.

I can't/don't drive yet so need to find a supplier that will deliver wood of a good quality. It is quite hard when you are unable to go through boards yourself looking for what you need.

Can anyone recommend a company that will look for good quality boards rather than just sending what is on top of the pile? I don't mind meeting delivery costs if they are in another county but otherside of the country would be going a bit far.

It is sad to say it but I do not really see how that could happen, partly because peoples perception of what is good or bad will vary, but mostly because any business that did that would soon be left with a pile of junk wood they couldn't get rid of.
This is a bit tongue in cheek but maybe the reason they deliver rubbish wood is because the good stuff has all been filtered out by those that can get to the wood yard.
( I. like you, do not drive and have a job getting to them. )

if you can locate a source locally, what about having a word with one of these "man and a van" services. Probably cheaper than the delivery costs and he could pick you up on the way and collect the gear at the same time.

have you tried Gard and sons in Essex ?

don't know where in herfordshire you are,,,

They are pretty decent and do deliver...

Could you not get down to the yard , bus / train choose the boards , mark / chalk them and then get them to deliver. A van & man may have insurance problems with passengers. Geoff

Giff":3v3a2hpx said:
Could you not get down to the yard , bus / train choose the boards , mark / chalk them and then get them to deliver. A van & man may have insurance problems with passengers. Geoff

That is a good idea, cheers Geoff.

Try Eastern Hardwoods in Harlow. Just had a delivery from them today for the first time and I'm very pleased with what they sent,
13 sheets oak veneer mdf and two cubic feet of oak all good and a pleasure to deal with. Delivery driver was a nice helpful chap too.

Speak to Rich Collison I'm sure he will sort you out.

If you do, mention Richard from Northampton sent you over, might get me soem brownie points for the next order.

Richard

Richard S":3m19362h said:
Try Eastern Hardwoods in Harlow. Just had a delivery from them today for the first time and I'm very pleased with what they sent,
13 sheets oak veneer mdf and two cubic feet of oak all good and a pleasure to deal with. Delivery driver was a nice helpful chap too.

Speak to Rich Collison I'm sure he will sort you out.

If you do, mention Richard from Northampton sent you over, might get me soem brownie points for the next order.

Richard

I owe you some thanks and an apology Richard. I took up your advice and found them very helpful and very accepting of small orders and trying to keep the hobbyist happy.

I've had to have it couriered for now but when I get on the road I think I will visit them frequently.

I did however forget to mention you Richard so you might have to mention that next time you go to them. :p

Latest posts

Back