Poolewood 28/40 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveyboy

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
My previous posts concerned the reconstruction of a Poolewood Lathe that has been donated to our Man Shed group. With the help of this forum I have been able to put all the bits back where they belong, even making a couple of Woodruff type locking keys for the shafts and the lathe now works once again. Many thanks to all those whose suggestions and tips helped in this endeavour.
The motor on the lathe is a capacitor start type, with the capacitor strapped on the body of the motor. There should be an end cap on the capacitor to cover the terminals but unfortunately when the lathe was transported this end cap was damaged and is no longer viable. I have tried various methods to cover the terminals but have drawn a blank. Can anyone suggest a cover that would suffice or if anyone has such an item to donate or sell I would be most grateful. I don't think the capacitor is the original and the previous cap was actually a lid from a plastic container but all attempts to find one that fits have proved fruitless.

Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to the replies. Regards Steve

Turn one up from a bit of Beech or similar tight grained wood, a couple of coats of shellac or gloss lacquer to make it damp resistant.

if you want to maximise insulation line with some thin polythene from a plastic milk bottle or the like.

Have you got pictures?

I'm guessing you are talking about the electrolyte type with + and - terminals. They have a metal shell and the plastic sleeve (like batteries) don't serve much purpose except being a label. If it's the ceramic type then it would have stopped working by now.

Either way please make sure the capacitor is discharged before handling it. Do this by unplugging it from the wall, then pressing the on switch. Whatever charge is left in it will be used.

If you have the old sleeve somewhere do note down the ratings: farad and voltage, in case you need to get a replacement.

Stay safe.

Adrian

Just a thought - what's the largest diameter heat shrink insulation that is available? If you can get any big enough, slide it over the body of the cap and far enough to cover some of the wiring, then apply heat?

Latest posts

Back