Poolewood 28/40 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveyboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
My last couple of posts have been concerned with the reconstruction of a Poolewood 28/40 lathe that was taken apart aand moved to a new location. Unfortunately there are a couple of bits missing, namely the keys that locate the pulleys on the drive shaft. I believe I can source these thanks to the members of this group, many thanks all. I have one other question with regards to reassembling the drive. There is a large spring that controls the movement of the cone shaped pulley and I need to compress this spring in order to screw in the grease nipple that holds it in place. What type of spring compressor would do the job?
Thanks all, Steve

steveyboy":1wf3qd6s said:
Hello all,
My last couple of posts have been concerned with the reconstruction of a Poolewood 28/40 lathe that was taken apart aand moved to a new location. Unfortunately there are a couple of bits missing, namely the keys that locate the pulleys on the drive shaft. I believe I can source these thanks to the members of this group, many thanks all. I have one other question with regards to reassembling the drive. There is a large spring that controls the movement of the cone shaped pulley and I need to compress this spring in order to screw in the grease nipple that holds it in place. What type of spring compressor would do the job?
Thanks all, Steve

Put a couple of Zip-lock Plastic Cable ties, through it and compress it in a vice and tighten them up, easy to snip them off when fitted.
Or if not to hand do likewise with some thin steel or copper wire if you have it and twist it up with pliers.

If I remember correctly I could only compress about 3 coils of the spring because of the limited clearance on the pulley collar.

Hi All,

I have just bought a Poolewood 28-40 and am having problems with the capacitor. When I bought the machine the capacitor wasn't working so I ordered a new one that was identical to the one in the machine. Oddly it was 400-480uF 110/125V capacitor running on a 240v supply. Is this normal? I had to get a replacement from America, it arrived and worked a few times then I turned it on and it blew!!

Before I order another from America does anyone have the same lathe and could they help me out by telling me the capacitor their motor runs off. I'm wondering if it's the wrong one.....

Any other reasons why it may have blown? Could it have been due to starting it whilst in a high speed setting or under too much load?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Joel

Back