Planer-Thicknesser machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i bought my planer, I went for as big as I could sensibly fit in my shop. Mistake!
Get something that will surface to about 9" wide, and learn how to rub-joint; which you'll have to do even with a 12" model!

You can get the joints spot-on from the planer once you get used to it.

I'm not saying you can't rub joint of course, but I reckon you know what I mean. :D

HTH
John

Hi Malcolm.
You probably didn't notice it when you came around but I have an Elektra Beckum planer thicknessesr. You know the size of my workshop so that should give you an idea of the size you machine that would suit you and if you want to pop in again I'll be happy to show you how it works.
The EB (now Metabo) won't come out top of peoples wish list but is a good serviceable small machine that you should be able to pick up on EBay or Gumtree.
Glynne

Thanks Glynne,

Having had a rush of ideas to improve the 'workshop', the limiting factor is still space. This is why I was considering something that is 'bench top' so that I could use it on the bench, but put it on one of the workmates when doing something larger. I think your machine was a floor type, unless I'm wrong?

My mind is thinking one day to enlarge the bandsaw and then to get other equipment. Perhaps I need to take a breath, do some more general 'hobby' work Nd see what I REALLY need.

Have you done any marquetry work at all? If so, swill give you a call for a chat about something I'm working on that may be enhanced with some marquetry, but I've never done this.

M

In theory you can hot glue a board to another larger board, with wedges underneath if it's really out of whack, and do one side on thicknesser and then do the other side after, with edges done on table saw.

I read about it all the time, but don't know anyone who does it, as it would really only be when you absolutely have no space / money...

Back