Plane tuning extremes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtr1":2qtiugk9 said:
woodbloke":2qtiugk9 said:
mtr1":2qtiugk9 said:
I can confirm that's true, I wondered if it's because you push down hardish at the start, go into a kinda cruise mode through the cut, then push down at the end of the board again? Might be why my grandfather added lead to the front of his no8, to minimise the convexness of shooting by hand?
What MrC and Paul say may be fundamentally correct, but pushing down at the end of stroke will only compound the convexity...vertical downward pressure should be eased to almost zero at the end of the board - Rob

Sigh.
:? :? ...if you put downward pressure on the end of the plane as it finishes the stroke, the board will tend to be more convex, that's all I was trying to get across
My head hurts as well. It's a nice exercise to examine the theory, but in practice, does it make a lot of difference in making furniture? For me, not really. As long as we're aware of the anomaly, steps (like stop shavings) can be taken to correct any convexity that might develop - Rob

Is it possible that the switch from using the front sole to the rear sole alters the depth of cut slightly?

This would make sense to me as it is a tiny effect we are talking about and that is the only thing that has changed.

It would also make sense as we can see a compound effect by repeating the exercise and the only thing that differs from one stroke to the next is the shape of the surface.

The individual's technique seem to be less important as several people have tried it and confirmed similar results.

Rob, I think Mark is referring to the transfer of weight to the tail at the end of the stroke to ensure that it doesn't lift - not pressing down on the front again.

When I said push down at the end of the cut, I mean't transfer weight to the back of the plane, I thought that was a given, that's all. Which is what you said but much clearer than me. Let me assure you I know how to shoot two boards together, if not I'd better quit my day job :lol: :lol:

Edit: what Matthew said.

matthewwh":2mtw01t0 said:
Rob, I think Mark is referring to the transfer of weight to the tail at the end of the stroke to ensure that it doesn't lift - not pressing down on the front again.
Ahhh, that would explain it Matt...it's just that it didn't appear to be explained that way, or it was me mis-interpretining the information. Probably me...the nuances of t'interweb - Rob

Latest posts

Back