Pitch Pine.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beganasatree

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight I had a visit from our central heating engineer offering me a wooden lintel (pitch pine),it is 8"x5"and 6 foot long.He has bought an old cottage 185 years old and is replacing all the wooden lintels with concrete ones,8 more to come if I can find a use for them.I will resaw some of it for projects,but is it of any use for turning????Has anyone used it??

Peter.

Yes, once or twice. As with any pine, sharp tools and a clean cut are essential to prevent tearout. Pitch pine can almost polish itself.

They could look really nice put back in an old cottage or barn conversion as decorative features. We paid about £80 for an old oak lintel for our barn. It mght be worth your while to advertise them before you cut them up.

K

Lovely stuff to work, but be careful with it on the lathe, as it can be very brittle and can almost shatter like glass if you make the slightest mistake with tool contact. Takes a lovely finish, as has been said.

Thanks for the replies,I shall put the beams in storage and keep them dry until I find a use for them.Paul I had look at your links and I think I will have a try at the Barley twist stems and if successful I will make a half dozen of my wooden stemmed wine glasses incorporating the barley twist and give them to the guy as a thank you.

Peter.

Is he sure he's allowed to remove them? 185 years should be a grade 2 listed at least, if its a grade one, he is in deep doo doo.

Back