pine coffee table finishing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob12770

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, another question for you all, sorry :oops:
I made a basic pine coffee table a while ago, (2 months) and it was the first thing i had made, and it turned out pretty good (for me), so i bought some "ronseal woodstain and varnish ) in one tin, it looked ok, but after 3 weeks the top of the table seperated a bit, and i had to sand it back and refinish it.

well, it turns out that the ronseal didnt stain the wood at all, as i could sand,even scratch it off back to the bare wood, so im planning on sanding the whole thing back to bare pine, and i want to dye the wood and then apply some sort of wax to the topcoat for shine, im thinking beeswax, is this the right thing to do ?

i am aware the this question is rather novice, but then again, i am . :lol:
many thanks Rob

Attachments

• table pine.jpg
    table pine.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,214
  • table stained.jpg
    table stained.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,212
Rob, not sure if wax is going to give the durability that you might require for a coffee table.

I think you'd be best staining with a solvent or water based stain then protecting that with a clear surface coating , something like S&R Danish Oil or Polyurethane Finish.

Alternatively if you're after something that is really hard then AC Lacquer is the way to go, the only problem with that is that it's not the most pleasant product to use and is a two part system.

Hope this helps in some way.

Woodfinish Man":2hlf84g6 said:
Rob, not sure if wax is going to give the durability that you might require for a coffee table.

I think you'd be best staining with a solvent or water based stain then protecting that with a clear surface coating , something like S&R Danish Oil or Polyurethane Finish.

Alternatively if you're after something that is really hard then AC Lacquer is the way to go, the only problem with that is that it's not the most pleasant product to use and is a two part system.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks Woodfinish Man ,
that helps alot =D> i have to buy Danish oil anyway as i have just bought a wood lathe and i need Danish oil to finish bowls and goblets etc..
I am hoping to keep the table a Dark oak colour, so i guess i just add more Dye to get the desired colour..
Also looks like you have pointed me in the right Direction of a good suply shop in Glasgow :) , all I need now is somewhere I can buy wood.. Im getting sick of B&Q Pine :?
thanks again.. Rob :D
oh, BTW, i notice your location, I was born and bred in Edinburgh and have lived in Glasgow for almost two years now.

I went the other way rob, lived in Glasgow until 11 years ago and now do the daily M8 rat run for my sins.

You should try Paterson Timber, not sure what their minimum quantities are but if you contact Derek Ayton I'm sure if he can't help he'll point you in the right direction. They're a very forward thinking family business with an vast range of timber.

Hope this helps

Ian McAslan

Thanks Ian, I envy you, I miss Edinburgh.. well, it is my Home, :wink:
I see that you are the MD of Smith & Rodger, is that a shop I can just walk in off the steet, or is it mail order only ?
I see paterson timber is on the same street as you, thats handy :)
again.. I thank you..

We have a trade/retail counter which is open Mon-Fri 8am-4.45pm Saturday 9am-12noon so we'd be delighted to see you in here at anytime. We have lots of boards displaying all our finishes and stains which hopefully will be of some assistance

Rob,

I know this a bit late on the reply but if you were still having trouble with wood supply, you could try one of these two. I have used Shawfield Timber when it was Eastend Sawmills. They used to hold a wide range of stock but I'm not sure what they do now after going bust / rising from the ashes!!
http://www.shawfieldtimber.co.uk/Joinery_Timbers_ID_12165.aspx

The people I use the most are Westfield Timber (because they are just round the corner) but they are really helpful (and patient). They don't hold anything out of the ordinary in stock but can source almost anything within a couple of days.
http://www.westfieldtimber.co.uk/ (website for contact details only - no real info there)

If there are any others on here around the Glasgow area, it would be interesting to see what other merchants would be recommended.

Cheers,

Keith.

Latest posts

Back