Pillar drill mortice attatchment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've just aquired a nice old meddings drill. I have some doors to make soon and am thinking of buying one of these.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/morticing-attachment

Are they any good? Does anybody have one? Before I got the drill I was going to get a dedicated morticer for the doors.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Take the £27.46 that this item costs, and stake it to win on a rank outsider.

You'll get a lot more enjoyment, you won't damage the bearings on your beautiful Meddings drill, and there's a remote but real possibility that you'll win enough to buy a proper morticer than can actually cut proper mortices (as opposed to the zero possibility that the Axminster cracker toy will ever cut a proper mortice).

However, if you're not a gambling man, then just use a router or a morticing chisel.

Good luck!

I've got one similar that I bought some years ago from 'somewhere', and it works fine for me. Judging be an earlier similar thread I think I am the only one that feels this way, but then mine doesn't get a lot of use, and I haven't used a dedicated machine.

The reviews on the Axi site suggest manufacturing quality may be an issue with theirs.

The Meddings drill have a Quil actuating gear that is mounted Iona shaft that is held by a bush at the end closest to to the capstan. Significant oressure downward exerted by capstan will inevitably cause the gear to slip on the rack that is machined into the quil. The quil or gear will become worn and the drill won't work properly.

Take a look at a 'proper' industrial Morticer such as the Sedgwick 571. The stiffness and engineering to make the Mortice chisel penetrate through the stuff is significant to withstand the pressure that is required to Mortice in this way.

I would always recommend to anyone to save up and buy a decent secondhand Wadkin, Sedgwick, Dominimum or Multico Morticer, which regularly are up for sale on the auction sites. They will hold their value and do the job properly without compromising a lovely old Meddings.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling that would be the answer. Good point deema made about causing damage to the drill. Looks like I just saved myself £27.

Agree definitely keep those attachments away from your pillar drill.
I picked up a Multico PM12 for less than £50 complete with 6 chisels and drill chuck attachment.
It is tiny compared to my other pillar drills but:
When you look at the size of the gears and handle length its very clear why the pillar drill is at risk of
damage .

I had one of those attachments:
060620023.jpg
, for one of these:
CDP351F_Drill_Press.jpg

I did get it to work, but it's really embarrassing when the thing pulls the chuck out of the morse taper (if the bit gets stuck), and goodness knows what it does to the quill gearing. The clamp-down system is pretty pants too, and making slots involves a lot of careful resetting.

Stay well away.

Instead... I bought a nice bench morticer from Axminster for (then) well under 200 quid. It's really handy, and doubles as a (rather limited) drill press, which comes into its own when there's a lot of repetitive work to do.

The newer version (linked to) has a number of improvements, e.g. the wheel for the carriage, but the cross slides make setup and use really easy. Once you have the mortice position marked out (or a story stick), it's very quick to define the ends of the mortice then get a nice clean straight line.

I think the chisel is twisted very, very slightly by the rotation of the auger, as I've been very careful in the past to set it square to the fence, only to get very slight steps in the side of the mortice. So I set it ever-so-slightly anti-clockwise now (looking down), and it seems to cut well. That said, rough mortice sides don't show and probably give a stronger joint.

I've never yet got a clean exit when through-mortising though. I think you really couldn't use one on fine work, unless you cut from the finish side towards the tenon shoulders, and even then I'd be tempted to work round with a sharp marking knife first. Tips on this would be welcome here!

I find you need strong-suck extraction close to the chisel, to clear chips - if you can arrange that (I use an Earlex vacuum usually), it works well, even in softwood. Otherwise expect jamming, overheating, etc.

Get a sharpening kit: having a razor edge to the chisel makes an enormous difference (but don't let it brush the back of your hand when setting-up - DAMHIK!), and I use Liberon machine lubricating wax often, to reduce chips clogging the thing up. I see there's a diamond cone available too now, but I'd guess it's too coarse and to agressive. The kit cutter works really well with a gobbet of Trefolex cutting compound to help it.

Also, the cheap chisels I have (Axminster and Clarke) are quite roughly machined. Prep new chisels by taking a diamond file to the slots, so chips don't catch on the way out. I found it makes a big difference - if the chips clear well the chisel doesn't overheat and lose its edge.

On that score, too much vertical clearance of the auger is as bad as not enough, as chips can get into the gap and jam it. I find a 2p coin is about perfect for setting the gap (softwood + 3/8" or 1/2" chisels), so have one drilled and tied onto the pillar! Your mileage will vary, especially with different woods.

I've replaced all the Bristol Levers with Allen bolts though - the levers look smart but usually get in the way, and you can tighten down the bolts better. The slide end stops aren't very elegant but they do work. The metal of those chrome-plated bars is quite soft though - smooth/flatten the bolt-ends for the stops so they don't dig into those bars.

I have the riser block kit. It stays on the machine usually and really helps when morticing (otherwise the depth isn't really enough for window frames + a sacrificial piece underneath). Mine wasn't square though, top+bottom, and I have to shim it with kitchen foil. You need a good selection of spanners to fit it though, as access is awkward - taking the sliding table off temporarily helps a bit but doesn't solve the problem. You really need two people to do the job, as the column is quite heavy and unbalanced, and you have to fiddle at least the back two bolts into place whilst somehow keeping it from falling over.

Also the thing attracts rust. It's always well coated with Liberon wax between uses, but if I forget to cover it with a bin liner, there's usually a flash-rust coating when I come back to it. I think it's the cheap Chinese steel, but it's not a problem in use - the slideways are really well greased, so they're OK.

Glue some 80-grit sandpaper to the clamp (works for any morticer, I'd guess). It grips the stock really well then, without leaving marks. Also the table clamp bolts are 12mm, not 13mm - why???

Those two plastic covers for the auger chuck are a real PITA though - completely pointless as far as I can see. I took mine off and have kept them to inflict on the next owner in due course!

E.
(Sorry way too much info - I should probably change my on-line name to Rambling Sid Rumpo, 'cept I can't do Kenneth WIlliams.)

"Proper" morticers seem to go surprisingly cheap, though I had to pay more than £50 for a PM12 a decade ago. Despite their size, they are capable machines.
Possibly an even cheaper, but long shot, is the old Arcoy dovetailer attachment for the pillar drill stand that they made. It was probably the prototype for those cheap and nasty attachments, but really well made. Had one before getting the PM12, and adapted to take an old 2 speed Black and Decker, it tackled 1/2" through mortices in oak with relative ease IF using a decent chisel. Actually, didn't Record Power make a similar attachment for a while - might be more of them about?

Eric The Viking":2xokl6b2 said:
On that score, too much vertical clearance of the auger is as bad as not enough, as chips can get into the gap and jam it. I find a 2p coin is about perfect for setting the gap (softwood + 3/8" or 1/2" chisels), so have one drilled and tied onto the pillar! Your mileage will vary, especially with different woods.

This is useful info - thanks, it might explain a few problems I have had.
Nick

dickm":28jgtfpu said:
"Proper" morticers seem to go surprisingly cheap,

I think you're right. A combination of the Festool Domino plus the Anglo Saxon world finally grasping the advantages of the continental slot morticer, has meant the demand for the traditional hollow chisel mortice is pretty low. I'm shocked by the knock down prices that even the MkII version of the Sedgwick 571 sells for second hand...doubly so as I'll probably soon be selling one too!

custard":11zm5sg5 said:
dickm":11zm5sg5 said:
"Proper" morticers seem to go surprisingly cheap,
... the Anglo Saxon world finally grasping the advantages of the continental slot morticer.

Do you mean the chainsaw-variety, or Dominoes, or both?

I can see how they'd be better (the first for production work mainly though, rather than bespoke), but both were way beyond my reach financially. I'd love a Domino, but I can't see it happening any time soon, sadly.

Meanwhile, the small bench morticer has obvious limitations, but I can make it do what I need it to, cost-effectively.

Is it one of those things where an amateur has a quite different take on equipment purchase to a professional?

E.

Thank you Eric the Viking for your concise review. I think I will get a bench top morticer. I can't justify using the space up for a large floor standing machine.

Back