Picture frame rebate - by hand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pietrach

Reaction score
Hi

Despite advice on not attempting a picture frame for the first woodworking project, I am sticking with it. However, having hand tools only, I am struggling how to make a rebate for the glass and the artwork. I know there are planes for this, but I don't have one. I could chisel it out, but this will be a very laborious work and most probably not very accurate, especially that my picture frame will be for a panoramic photograph of approximately 1m length.

Thank you

As you do have chisels you can use a poor mans plane to make the rebate .
Paul Sellers has a video describing how to make one from a chisel and block of wood.

Alternatively
A rebate plane from Axminster is currently available from Ebay for £15 delivered.

Or Change your design to build up the rebate in wood.

Whatever you do - practice on offcuts / scrap before touching the actual item

glue to strips together, leaving the rebate as a gap?

buy a record o43 plane in good condition. use it and sell it on- that would cost you next to nothing and would be an ideal little plane for it.

Perhaps you should list the tools you do have so we know what you've got to work with and will be able to advise better. :)

Without any clues about available tools, could you make another frame using thin wood with the same outside dimensions but larger inside dimensions and then glue the two bits together to form the rebate?

Chris

Further to my post - I meant Paul Sellers poor mans router - - will take some time and thought + keepung the chisel sharp will be part of the job.

Further to my post - I meant Paul Sellers poor mans router - - will take some time and thought + keepung the chisel sharp will be part of the job.

Doing woodwork with the minimum tools is a challenge, but if you have a chisel you can cut a rebate. Richard Maguire gives a down to earth video demo here: https://youtu.be/PCX6RZGmiRE

Be aware that he has a lot of experience and his tools are sharp.

Use a tenon saw, cut to depth from down both faces of the rebate. Mark the depth on the saw plate with pvc tape.
xy

I only have a chisel, a tenon saw and soon a no4 plane. I like the tenon saw advise. I will give it a go. Thank you.

Pietrach":1riembgg said:
I only have a chisel, a tenon saw and soon a no4 plane. I like the tenon saw advise. I will give it a go. Thank you.

Take it gently, don't push it, take your time. Mark depth for the full length of the blade. Practice cutting vertically first.
xy

That will be mighty impressive to do with a tennon saw. But given your tools it is the best choice. I would also fix a small batten along the length of your picture frame wood on the line of the rebate and use the edge of the batten to keep your saw on the line

PAC1":3hom0aw5 said:
That will be mighty impressive to do with a tennon saw. But given your tools it is the best choice.

Disagree; I'd cut/carve it with the chisel. A long, deep rip cut with a tenon saw is misery.

Of course (thankfully) I have more tools than that.

BugBear

bugbear":2bq686jg said:
PAC1":2bq686jg said:
That will be mighty impressive to do with a tennon saw. But given your tools it is the best choice.

Disagree; I'd cut/carve it with the chisel. A long, deep rip cut with a tenon saw is misery.

Of course (thankfully) I have more tools than that.

BugBear

Only if you also have a mallet and can sharpen the chisel

Another possibility with using the chisel is to chamfer (bevel) the inside edge with the #4 where the rebate will be so instead of having a square to chisel out you'll have a triangle - half the work - plus if you are careful with marking it all out the bevel edges will give you crisp edges to work to for the chiselling.

For a mallet - well grab a log, a brick - anything hard you can hit stuff with!

+1 for glueing a narrower strip on to a thick bit to form the rebate. That's what I did before getting a router, and often still do as I like to use contrasting timbers.

Good luck with the project.

Latest posts

Back