picnic bench... what wood to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
So, the wife says we need a picnic bench for the summer so naturally I said don't buy one they are easy to make (right?) but none of the wood I have is anywhere near suitable, especially as we don't want "one of those flimsy ones that will rot" etc.

So, what is the best wood and thickness etc for the job, and what is the wrong stuff too before I get sold unsuitable stuff?

TIA

Woodworking newbie!

I made one from reclaimed scaffold boards and roofing joists, decent large size and strongly made, soaked it in cuprinol clear wood preserver and 15 or more years on it's only just beginning to rot a bit on the ends of the top boards!

Cheers, Paul

You could do worse than use Utile if you don't stick into the soil. It is quite weather resistant and mellows to a nice brown grey colour. It's also available from most timber stockists. I got mine from a stockist near Bridgend.

Hi

I have one I made from Larch about 15 years ago - it gets a lick of preservative every two or three years but no other care.

I made it from 2" sawn boards straight from the sawmill.

Regards Mick

Hi Zodiac,

Pressure treated redwood (the Eurasian species) can be a suitable timber to use. It's readily available, the cost is reasonable and it will stand out for many years before showing any signs of decay.

Cheers,
John

Iroko would be a good choice. Known as poor mans teak, it's fairly oily and very resistant to weathering and decay. Available from most big timber suppliers...... Just be careful when machining it, the dust is nasty so wear a suitable mask.

Other than that Oak would be good if well preserved......

I`m with Mick, Larch, where ever you buy it check it out your self first two faults to look for are pockets of pitch and if the timber was subject to areal hard frost when growing it can some times start to delaminate so check for cup shakes.

Latest posts

Back