Pestle and Mortar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Some advice needed, please.

My wife currently has a stone pestle and mortar (mortar being about 8" in diameter and 4" deep, pestle being just over 1" in diameter). She uses this for pounding (quite hard) whole spice seeds (cardamom, mustard, peppercorns, star anise etc) as well as bruising softer herbs and making spice pastes with added oils. Overall, both pestle and mortar take quite a bashing.

I would like to make a new one in wood (even with my limited turning skills (hammer) this does not seem too ambitious a project). The question is what is the best variety of wood to use and what would be an appropriate finish given the hard usage it will get.

Any advice would be very welcome. :D

Mike.

hgb":vyipgyiz said:
henton49er":vyipgyiz said:
Some advice needed, please.

My wife currently has a stone pestle and mortar (mortar being about 8" in diameter and 4" deep, pestle being just over 1" in diameter). She uses this for pounding (quite hard) whole spice seeds (cardamom, mustard, peppercorns, star anise etc) as well as bruising softer herbs and making spice pastes with added oils. Overall, both pestle and mortar take quite a bashing.

I would like to make a new one in wood (even with my limited turning skills (hammer) this does not seem too ambitious a project). The question is what is the best variety of wood to use and what would be an appropriate finish given the hard usage it will get.

Any advice would be very welcome. :D

Mike.
Hi, Mike. I'd try LIGNUM HGB.

Beech or sycamore. Both lignum and olive are very oily woods and the oil can get into the things you are pounding, not recommended. I personally wouldn't use anything but beech, sycamore, hawthorn or blackthorn. Safe woods, hard and int he case of sycamore, also has anti bacterial properties. You can't be too careful with woods for food items.

Pete

Back