Pergola build by a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Bowman

Reaction score
Hi.
I've a concrete slabs in the corner of my garden where a small summer house use be.
I intend to use the slab to create a searing area and want to build some form of pergola over it. It has two fence panels (forming the corner) so is reasonably sheltered.
My questions are, what sort of timbers should I use? C24, or am I completely showing my lack of knowledge here? Also, should I fix to the concrete bases (seems pretty solid) or dig behind the slab and postcrete the uprights in?

Many thanks for letting my join.

drilling into the concrete-especially near the edges can cause breakout / . You could use post anchors but set them in away from the edges but this will affect your overall area , but at least your timber will be above ground . Alternatively post spikes could be used around the perimeter of the slab giving you the maximum area for your pergola. The fence spikes can of course be concreted in . I would be looking for galvanised metalwork-the steel ones can rust quite quickly. As your timber will be above ground then as long as it’s treated and re treated once a year you should be fine.personally imo 4 “ uprights will give you a good start 3x2 or 4x2 for the horizontals. Stainless or other outdoor screws/ bolts should give you a sound structure.

Hi.
I've a concrete slabs in the corner of my garden where a small summer house use be.
I intend to use the slab to create a searing area and want to build some form of pergola over it. It has two fence panels (forming the corner) so is reasonably sheltered.
My questions are, what sort of timbers should I use? C24, or am I completely showing my lack of knowledge here? Also, should I fix to the concrete bases (seems pretty solid) or dig behind the slab and postcrete the uprights in?

Many thanks for letting my join.
I’d just sit it on top of the slab, once the roof etc is on it will be heavy enough to stay put.

I made this and it stands on loose laid slabs - and it’s been fine for 3 years

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks both.
I think mine will be larger so keen to physically attach to the ground.
Good advice about choice of materials and the perils of water.
I'm going to plan in more detail and let size dictate if I attach to the slab or have posts in the ground.
Cheers.

Thanks both.
I think mine will be larger so keen to physically attach to the ground.
Good advice about choice of materials and the perils of water.
I'm going to plan in more detail and let size dictate if I attach to the slab or have posts in the ground.
Cheers.
Just google galvanised fence spikes or galvanised post supports they are available in many forms but they all achieve the same job . Whichever way you go I’d recommend keeping the posts just above ground. Good luck 🤞

Back