Patio Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altheo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a fairly large patio made from brick sized interlocking coloured concrete blocks, 3" thick, laid on a bed of sand and all properly consolidated about 30 years old.
Last year I noticed a dozen or so small mounds of sand thrown up by a tiny winged insect which is able to burrow between the joints. It didn't cause me any concern at the time.
This year, with the arrival of warmer weather, I've noticed hundreds of these little sand heaps so I think I have a plague of these insects.
Is there an entomologist on the forum who can identify the insects from my description and, hopefully, suggest a method of control or eradication ?

Many thanks ( in anticipation ).

That's the puppy. Entrance to ant colonies. Nippon or A N Other proprietary insecticide formulated for ants should do the trick. Do need to do it cos eventually their colonies create a mass of tunnels that can undermine the structural integrity of a patio

Don't think so - we had the same problem as few years ago and the solution above cleared it.

Brian

No, it's definitely not a wind up nor is it the ants themselves - the insects are too small to be flying ants and it's the wrong time of year for them anyway. However, I've noticed that the concentration of sand heaps are in areas where we've previously had a problem with ant's nests, so maybe they're ant predators.
Clearly they will undermine the patio eventually if left undisturbed, so they've got to go. Your suggested remedy looks as though it could clear the ants and the insects so I'll give it a whirl.
Many thanks for your advice.

You will ned to keep a eye on this evert year from now on. We get them every year, no matter how much treatment we give them. They have actually started again already on the drive and I have tried the powder and the spray.

Alex

A reputable pest-control firm will be able to ID the insect for you and advise on eradication.
Keep us advised on the outcome. If they're not ants, then I for one would be fascinated to know what they are.

Ants only have wings when they breed - generally late summer. The tiny ones are males, the bigger ones potential Queens. They mate in the air, wings fall off and the mated Queen finds a new hidey hole to make a new colony.
As there's generally hundreds of these it's very difficult to eradicate completely?
The only sure way is to bed your patio on a concrete bed?

Rod

Make up an approximate 50-50 mix of fine sugar (Icing sugar is ideal) and sodium biborate (borax).

The ants will be attracted to the sugar and take the borax back to the nest which will kill them.

The floor of my front-porch comprises of paving-blocks which are becoming decidedly uneven due to these pests. I am going to try this Magnum Force syrupy stuff. Apparently the ants can't get enough of it, and they take it back to the nest, whereupon it decimates them. Hopefully. :?

The problem is not ants, but these tiny flying & burrowing insects which I have not yet identified. Possibly they're ant predators, so if I kill off all the ants maybe they'll just go away. Watch this space.

A bloke from the RHS thought I was lucky to have them as they probably kill aphids etc., etc. but didn't suggest a remedy. He should see my patio !!

Latest posts

Back