Palm router bit come loose issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLuck

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I was trimming 7mm rough sawn cherry lippings on mdf veneer. I have previously used my dewalt dw625 with a piece of mdf screwed to it a large straight bit zeroed against the mdf base... I saw this tip on this forum a couple of weeks ago.

Anyhow, today I decided to try my Bosch trim/palm/laminate router gkf600, I fitted an mdf base and zeroed the bit, the first 2 meters of trimming the lippings was fine then all of a sudden the bit started to cut past the lippings and into the veneer. I thought maybe this was because the base wasn't tightened enough so I tightened further and re zeroed the bit. About another 50cm and it happened again bit dropped about 2mm past the 'mdf zeroed' point. This time I thought it might be the shank coming loose so I tightened the collet. 2 more meters and it happened again. At this point I gave up and returned to my bigger dewalt... But not before having a little cry and throwing my Bosch into the back of the cupboard.

The bit on the Bosch was extremely hot, was I expecting too much from my trim router and is it possible that the bit can come loose when it gets too hot. Any other thoughts why this may have happened?

On a separate note I just subscribed to British Woodworking, bought 6 back issues on ipad and loving them!

I would first want to establish whether it is the base or the bit that is slipping. If it is the bit I would try a new collet.

Are you sure you haf the base twisted into the lock position and locked in position?? Sometimes I almost forget and just do the locking bit up.

Of course, I haven't used it in a while and had completely forgotten that the base locks into position, instead I was just tightening the locking bit up. Doh! Will try it tomorrow but 90% sure this will be the issue. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back