Other craft skills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":3efq74yx said:
Lucky man. My 16 y.o. boy isn't remotely interested in anything practical. Actually he's not remotely interested in anything at all, not girls ... or boys ... booze, dope, or anything without a screen. Brain the size of a planet and the intellect of a $%%^&* shrew.

It sounds like you are too hard on him, I suppose you could have said the same for me at that age. I didn't get interested in anything practical until after age 30 (now 35).

My most hated classes were workshop class in school. I think a lot of it was because of bullying, being shy and introverted and frankly the kind of people who were handy and practical also tended to be the bullies. Took years to get rid of most of the negative associations, and starting a family and building a house and having my own place to get around to it. Still to this day I can only work alone and not with other people.

phil.p":2yiqu7xp said:
I've not long done jam - apricot and stem ginger, and rhubarb, root ginger and lemon. Go with the bread nicely. :D
Apricot and cardamom was interesting as well.

So you haven't tried pumpkin and pineapple yet? Delicious. =P~

Just completed 30 jars of Redcurrant, Blackcurrant and Gooseberry jelly to go with the 60 plus jars of various jams and marmalade I already have stored. All the fruit came from my allotment and there are still two late Blackcurrant bushes to harvest.

Trained in ceramics as an undergrad, throwing, turning, hand-building sculpture and all that. Then turned to art history and photography, teaching and doing. Writing's a craft, too, but it all got done on a computer and it's such a relief to work with something real like wood. Real and beautiful.

I wash my own sweaters, by hand if that counts!
May had had something to do with the time, years ago I "suggested" my missus had shrunk one of my wool sweaters, :wink:

Lons":fm63u33b said:
I wash my own sweaters, by hand if that counts!
May had had something to do with the time, years ago I "suggested" my missus had shrunk one of my wool sweaters, :wink:
I iron trousers that have a crease in the front - after mentioning to my wife that the creases are meant to be vertical rather than diagonal.

Lons, and Glynne....
Please hand in your Man cards immediately. They will no longer be validated.

Latest posts

Back