Old Wolf angle grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
I could use a bigger angle grinder than my Lidl 125mm / 4½" one, which has worked great though. I found for 30 euros in a 2nd hand store something called a Wolf angle grinder, it looked be white and blue and old looking, when I looked closer it said it was made in Britain. Old enough to be made in europe says quality machine to me. But I am not sure, there was no nut for the arbor anymore on it and the company seems to have gone into history. Looked like the grinder in this picture:
http://www.vads.ac.uk/large.php?uid=53852

There was a metabo too but the owner thought he could get someone to pay 80 euros for that, given how beat up it looked he must really be an optimist... And I think I also saw an Elu grinder for 20-30 euros.

Hi Dennis

I think that Wolf and Makita have something in common. Not totally sure, although Makita belt sanders look remarkably similar to old Wolf tools.

The back flange and nut won't be a problem - should be standard M14 thread available just about anywhere.

Cheers

Paul

looks like the old wolf angle grinder threads were 5/8 UNC (11tpi) which is strange if they were made in the UK it most likely would be 5/8 BSW (also 11tpi) . The old wolf was definitely imperial NOT metric. UNC an american thread had a thread angle of 60 deg same as metric whilst BSW was 55 degrees.

Wolf made quality tools and if you have good brushes you are unlikely to regret owning one.Clearly the age will make finding parts challenging and if it hasn't been used for a while it might be wise to check that there is a good dab of grease on the bevel gears.

If you can get a working Elu grinder for 20-30 Euros, buy it. I have both 4.5" and 9" grinders which must be getting on for 20 years old and they are still going strong. In fact all of my Elu gear (routers, electric plane, chop saw, electric belt sander) is still going strong. The stuff was very well made.

AJB Temple":pbf99emq said:
If you can get a working Elu grinder for 20-30 Euros, buy it. I have both 4.5" and 9" grinders which must be getting on for 20 years old and they are still going strong. In fact all of my Elu gear (routers, electric plane, chop saw, electric belt sander) is still going strong. The stuff was very well made.
I bought a Hitachi C6BU circular saw instead for 25€ instead, it was more useful than a grinder to me at this moment. The elu grinder was 45 which is too much.

Back