Old Record 52 1/2 Vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi kufermeister.

On this site, the normal etiquette would be to say that the website at http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html has a useful article about the paint colours used by Record and their current equivalents.

Not just copy and paste it without giving any credit to the originator.

Also, it's a bit odd to come in on a posting from over seven years ago. Are you a real person?

AndyT":1tmmvlq2 said:
Also, it's a bit odd to come in on a posting from over seven years ago. Are you a real person?

Seems a bit odd to me to to attack someone quite so harshly for answering a post with useful and interesting information.
The post was probably returned near the top of the list from the search function, I've fallen for that myself.
The post did include a reference to the original source of the information so this is a very minor offence, worth mentioning perhaps but don't shoot him down for it.

His post did not include any reference to the site that he copied the information from, ie recordhandplanes.com.
The author of that site DID credit his sources.

People who make the effort to publish useful information deserve acknowledgement.

Very interesting Tnimble, thanks very much for the clarification. I don't suppose you know the origin of 'clamps' and 'cramps' with reference to holding things tightly together. I always say 'clamps' but 'cramps' is also used which I think is wrong.

John

AndyT":1hvy62dr said:
People who make the effort to publish useful information deserve acknowledgement.

I do agree with you, I just read your comments as being overly harsh. probably your last sentence that did it. Didn't look like he was trying to claim the text as his own, just neglected to credit it properly.

I had no intention of being harsh and don't think I was shooting anyone down but tone of voice is so hard to convey online. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

The forum does get a fair number of automated posts by software bots and as this one

a) took material from elsewhere which might have been automatically matched
b) was a first post but said nothing to introduce the poster
c) was in reply to a really old thread

it seemed a fair question to ask. So, kufermeister, tell us a bit more about yourself and your interest in old tools.

didn't realize this was such a 'proper english' forum.
copy & paste from free web works for me.....
besides,
within the article, the work is referenced, enough for the casual reader to understand where I found it....
really!!!

new members cannot post or paste until a certain numbers of posts have been made.

Also you have responded to a thread posted in 2007.

Mr. Wizer was a blast from the past. :eek:

Perhaps the whole thread is in a time warp DW, it took Kufermeister 11months to reply after his original post :shock:

Back