October Challenge - post any questions here please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Any questions about the October Challenge please post them here.
Lets see if we can get the entries into double figures this month.

A Decorated Platter, (a display piece).

Our Judge for October will be Richard (i think)

Must be New work for this Challenge

Can be any diameter.

Does not need to be circular.

Any wood type ( Wood type and cost / value will not be taken into consideration ) as this challenge is all about design / shape / form / turning and finishing skills.

To be made from any wood type, (other materials can be incorporated as long as it is turned on a wood turning lathe with wood turning tools.)

Colouring / textured / burning / piercing / carving / Multiple Segmented turning all allowed.

Entry does not need to be fit for purpose of holding foodstuffs, so no need for food safe finishes (if so desired).

Entry’s to be uploaded from 10pm on 27th Oct. up until 10pm on the 29th Oct. after this time the thread will be locked for Judging.

Results hopefully posted by 31st October, any glaringly obvious mistakes in the rules please let me know :)

nev

gregmcateer":1lmt3c5y said:
Do we have to have the normal debate over definition of 'Platter' or can we all just agree that it's a kinda flattish plate? :wink:

Yes :wink:

Oxford definition is...
noun

1a large flat dish or plate for serving food: [with modifier]: arrange the fruit on a serving platter
a quantity of food served on a platter: huge platters of cooked meat
a meal or selection of food placed on a platter, especially one served in a restaurant: dinner was a bowl of soup and a cold platter

2something shaped like a platter, in particular:
informal, dated a record: dig out some old platters
the rotating metal disc forming the turntable of a record player.
Computing a rigid rotating disk on which data is stored in a disk drive; a hard disk (considered as a physical object).

My definition is...
If you could eat (a sensible portion of) soup or cereal out of it, its a bowl.
If you serve cheese and crackers on it its a platter.

nev":29cz7o9c said:
gregmcateer":29cz7o9c said:
Do we have to have the normal debate over definition of 'Platter' or can we all just agree that it's a kinda flattish plate? :wink:

My definition is...
If you could eat (a sensible portion of) soup or cereal out of it, its a bowl.
If you serve cheese and crackers on it its a platter.

That suits me as a very sensible definition!
(Don't know if I can make one, though :? )

If I can find a bit of decent wood I will have another go this month.

KimG":3fm0vxrt said:
If I can find a bit of decent wood I will have another go this month.

Good Man!

Don't forget it's to be decorated so a good time to use up the not so decent bits of wood, old tins of paint, that forgotten roll of anaglypta under the stairs, etc.... :mrgreen:

nev":1xt5dnw1 said:
old tins of paint, that forgotten roll of anaglypta under the stairs, etc.... :mrgreen:

That'll take care of the turning marks and patchy finish...Excellent !

[Mike , answer regarding your signature ', I don't know ,I am a member but don't know where it is . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

quiet 'ere init... :wink:

tumbleweed.gif

You're allowed to pernickity Mike cos you have an entry each month :)

Looks like Duncans gonna lose his lead this week so as the lotto says...'It could be you!' (or even me 8) )

C'mon get your entries in, lets see if we can get back into double figure entries this month [-o<

nev":2sw8cc03 said:
........Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:06 am
C'mon get your entries in, lets see if we can get back into double figure entries this month [-o<

Ahmmmm:
When your entry is ready please go to our new scoreboard http://ukwturningcomp.co.uk/
Log in to your account and mark yourself as ready by 10 pm on the 26th October after this time the scoreboard will be locked.

But the Scoreboard is still OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back