Oak Shelving Unit...DUN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Coupla pics of the current job. Following on from the Media Unit that was completed in July, this is a small set of three wall hung shelves in English Oak, with the framework assembled today for the first time, lots of detailing still to do:

004small-8.jpg

005small-5.jpg

The short top and bottom rails are bare faced with just a decent gluing area to hold to into the stiles, but there's a reinforcing dowel as well down the middle (not shown in the pics) The three rear rails are tusk tenoned into the frames with ebony wedges (ruff mdf here just knocked into place) Each of the three shelves will be a smaller version of the top of the Media Unit, ie, 18mm ply with quarter sawn 2mm oak veneers over the top, front and rear lippings in oak with a semicircular edge worked into the solid and ebony end caps on each of the shelves.
These aren't designed to hold a lot of weight (certainly no heavy books) but have the capacity to store a selection of DVD's...they're really designed to hold various oddsn'sods and nick knacks accumulated on our travels - Rob

Countdown till it meets the bandsaw 23:45 tick tock tick tock.

Only kidding, looks great, your becoming very oriental in your styling its very interesting to see something different.

Chems":3s6x3ira said:
Countdown till it meets the bandsaw 23:45 tick tock tick tock.

Only kidding, looks great, your becoming very oriental in your styling its very interesting to see something different.

This one I fancy, may make it all the way to the wire :lol: The styling is not intended to be Oriental as such, but I was looking for something that would compliment the design of the Media Unit...but perhaps this is the way my thinking is going of late? :duno: Maybe a bit of Oriental mixed with a dash of A&C?.. interesting combination though - Rob

This little unit has now been finished:

22CompletedUnitSMALL.jpg

Rear rails held in with tusk tenons made from ebony, as are the ends of the shelves:

24Detailshot2SMALL.jpg

25Detailshot3SMALL.jpg

26Detailshot4SMALL.jpg

Detailing on the shelves is to match the Media Unit recently completed back in the summer. The main frame jointing is bare faced with a locating dowel down the middle. Material for the shelves is 18mm ply veneered with 2mm bandsawn veneers and then lipped. Lipping has then been planed to a semi-circualrish profile. Finish is a couple of coats of satin Osmo with wax over the top.

Constructive comments appreciated as ever - Rob

It was never intended to be loaded with anything heavy like books, more like a few DVD's together with bits and pieces collected on holiday. It would probably take the weight without too much bowing (...and I did check on the Sagulator) as the shelves are in fact 22mm thick - Rob

Don't know what to think of it , Rob :-k The craftsmanship, as always, is excellent. But seen on its own, with nothing on it, it looks very fussy, with its several different types of joint and Ebony detailing.

Having said that, in your lounge alongside the media unit, and with some stuff on the shelves, the effect will probably be quite different. Look forward to seeing it some time.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":24as8xj5 said:
Don't know what to think of it , Rob :-k The craftsmanship, as always, is excellent. But seen on its own, with nothing on it, it looks very fussy, with its several different types of joint and Ebony detailing.

Having said that, in your lounge alongside the media unit, and with some stuff on the shelves, the effect will probably be quite different. Look forward to seeing it some time.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
The actual jointing Paul, is fairly straight forward...very simple in fact on the framework with just those bare faced joints at the corners and the tusk tenons, but there's a lot of 'juxtapositioning' (if that's the right sort of description) of round and square elements in it that give the impression of complexity.
I tried putting some odd bits and pieces on it tonite and it really did look cluttered, but SWIMBO has pronounced that it would look better with a few quality pieces on it, so 'less is more' in other words. It does sit well though, with the Media Unit that you saw in the summer and that was the main intention really - Rob

Impeccable as usual Rob. I would be interested to learn how you tackled the curved fit between the top rails and the stiles.

With the PolyX finish, do you just brush on? And when you wax over it, do you rub it down between the PolyX and wax, just denib it, or just wax straight on to the PolyX?

RogerM":xaz2jome said:
Impeccable as usual Rob. I would be interested to learn how you tackled the curved fit between the top rails and the stiles.

With the PolyX finish, do you just brush on? And when you wax over it, do you rub it down between the PolyX and wax, just denib it, or just wax straight on to the PolyX?
Roger, that joint is something that I conjured up as I haven't seen it anywhere else. The stiles were simply done by drilling a 20mm hole in the appropriate place and then removing the timber to form that 'U' shape. The rails were made by planing the material to the required thickness (20mm in this case) and rounding over to a semicircular profile with a wooden jack and then a LN block, finishing off to the exact profile with a shaped cork block and 150g paper.
I always use Poly-X now, it's great stuff. Brush on two very thin coats, leave overnight 'twixt coats and rub down between and afterwards with some worn 320g paper, then wax over the top using a grey Webrax - Rob

Latest posts

Back