oak bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy43

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted a pic on here (apart from Chas and Dalboy, not many do) anyway an oak bowl 10"x2" finished with acrylic lacquer, not been polished yet c&c welcome,
oak2 (640x589).jpg

oak2 (640x589).jpg

oak3 (640x569) (600x533).jpg
sorry forgot other side
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• oak2 (640x589).jpg
    oak2 (640x589).jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,181
  • oak3 (640x569) (600x533).jpg
    oak3 (640x569) (600x533).jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,154
Nice bowl Andy like the two tone of the wood nicely turned and finished. Make sure you leave it at least a week or two before polishing not that I think it needs it

Dalboy":1j1acva6 said:
Nice bowl Andy like the two tone of the wood nicely turned and finished. Make sure you leave it at least a week or two before polishing not that I think it needs it

Thanks Derek
It will need a buffing, with the tripoli and the white diamond just to make it a bit smoother

Lots of figuring contrast in that piece and a practical size for regular use.

+1 for Derek's caution to wait a while before buffing Acrylic lacquer to allow it to cure.

As a matter of interest you say the 'already glossy' finish needs buffing to make it smoother, is this because you have:-

1. Runs,
2. Dust
3. Raised grain
4. Orange peel blemishes in places.

I have rarely lacquered any turnings, those that I did in the past were with Melamine enhanced lacquer which I 'de-blemished' with burnishing cream, so I'm interested in problem areas you may have encountered.

CHJ":13e22kf0 said:
Lots of figuring contrast in that piece and a practical size for regular use.

+1 for Derek's caution to wait a while before buffing Acrylic lacquer to allow it to cure.

As a matter of interest you say the 'already glossy' finish needs buffing to make it smoother, is this because you have:-

1. Runs,
2. Dust
3. Raised grain
4. Orange peel blemishes in places.

I have rarely lacquered any turnings, those that I did in the past were with Melamine enhanced lacquer which I 'de-blemished' with burnishing cream, so I'm interested in problem areas you may have encountered.

Hi Chas
There are a few dust particles on the bowl which I'm not happy with, I may just de-nib and spray on another coat to see if that sorts it

Lovely chunky honest bowl that lets the wood speak for itself. I would be really pleased to get a finish like that.

what a nice piece and the gloss finish is very good and that's acrylic lacquer ! I have never used it is it spray or brushed on ?

minimad":3tf8f0s3 said:
what a nice piece and the gloss finish is very good and that's acrylic lacquer ! I have never used it is it spray or brushed on ?

Hi Minimad
Glad you like it, it's sprayed on mate

Back