Oak beam construction...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cusimar9

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some general advice really...

I absolutely love the look of oak framed outbuildings but I can't see me ever having the funds to buy something like that.

My next project will be an outdoor log store, I was planning on building something straightforward but I came across some pictures of oak beam framed log stores and that's got my mind racing:

http://www.furhg.com/#!sheds-log-stores/cktx

Does anyone have any experience in building things from oak beams and what are the implications of building from green oak beams rather than kiln dried?

This may have to be a project for sometime in the future when I have more experience and more funds but if I can make it work then why not!

Green oak moves and checks, tenons should be draw bored to keep the frame tight. 19mm pegs are pretty standard fayre 15mm if it's very small section and 25mm if it's large section critical joint. They should be riven and tapered with a drawknife for maximum strength. Tenons should be less than 1/3 timber section, so if using 100*100 then a 32mm tenon max. I'm in Sheffield, workshop s out in Hathersage. Contact me if you want more info. P.S. If you want the longest life possible put the timber on a brick plinth to keep any end grain out of ground contact.

Just the man! Fantastic thanks for the info, I'm less than 10 minutes from Hathersage, if you wouldn't mind a quick visit I'd love to pop over and take a look at your workshop sometime?

I dont know if this is of any interest to you, but it may be, and might even start a discussion around this topic.

If you ever travel over to some parts of Scandinavia, especially the southern parts of Sweden and parts of Denmark, houses that are built in a similar style to the oak beamed british buildings can be seen. Quite often, these are old farmhouses. The interesting thing, to me at least, is that even if the older ones were built using oak beams, this was replaced by other types of wood in later buildings. Say those around 200 years old today.

I found out that oak was not a plentiful wood, so houses started to be built in whatever was available in the area. Quite often that was pine! The thought I had was that it might be preferable costwise if nothing else, to move away from oak?

Comments anyone?

I was in a similar position to you and ended up building a timber framed workshop using reclaimed pitch pine beams (just couldn't afford oak).

Here's a link.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... 3xCtwwsfog

I did do a timber framing course before which helped alot, but most of the skills I developed as I went along. Another good idea is to build a small project to practice cutting the joints (I built a heavy duty bench). Also had you though of using Larch or Douglas Fir timber as a cheaper alternative? You can't beat the smell of green oak though....

Nick

If price of timber is a major factor look at using Larch. It's British grown, shrinks a lot less, is similar in strength, smells like air freshener and is moderately durable so long as it's not in direct ground contact. If you want to pop in to the workshop feel free, just give me a call to see if we're in. On site for the rest of this week. Should be back in the workshop Monday or Tuesday.

What is the cost comparison between Oak and Larch per cubic metre?

I get green Oak beans sawn out here for around £250 a cubic metre, Larch is not much cheaper, but then Oak is plentiful around here. Both great timbers though and perform in very similar ways in the short term. All down to personal preference and costings I guess.

How would you go about cutting an arc into beams for the vertical braces?

log%20shed-500x500.jpg

I suppose you could trace an outline with a circular saw?

I would love to do something like this, I was already looking at oak framed garage kits to make my self but I just think it's a bit out of my skill level at the moment so a wood store might be a good idea.
You can get 4x4 8' green oak for £16 on ebay.

Get yourself a copy of Rupert Newman's book, Oak-Framed Buildings. It's very good and goes into detail of tools required and jointing techniques, although a quick google shows that you may struggle to get it for a reasonable price.

Andy RV":1iw1affw said:
Get yourself a copy of Rupert Newman's book, Oak-Framed Buildings. It's very good and goes into detail of tools required and jointing techniques, although a quick google shows that you may struggle to get it for a reasonable price.

I hope the price shown for that book on Amazon is a misprint....

Curves can be cut on a bandsaw but really big ones I cut with a chainsaw. (I wouldn't recommend this though, I do it at my own risk with a jig).

Tomouse - Oak is about £650 m3 larch closer to £380m3 +VAT premium on extra long lengths and anything over 350 on the widest face. What do you need for a minimum order m3 wise?

Rupert's book is pretty good but Tedd Benson's are more detailed when it comes to jointing frame members. Rupert's is more of an introduction to people who might want to have a frame built but want to know the mechanics of it. Steve Chappell has a couple of good 'uns too. The American square rule framing is quite different to British scribe rule though, Rupert explains scribe rule well with rendered illustrations well.

zb1":2o4wqoxa said:
Tomouse - Oak is about £650 m3 larch closer to £380m3 +VAT premium on extra long lengths and anything over 350 on the widest face. What do you need for a minimum order m3 wise?

Thats the 'Green' Price?? Minimum order wise you'd want 4 or 5 cube to make it viable with transport costs but of course it depends how much of a discount on UK prices you want.

For example I can get 2 cubic metres of prime air dried Slavonian Oak delivered to your door for around £1200 and of course the price drops as you order more as transport prices are reduced.

Back