Nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've never turned one, seen loads turned over the years and well they look ok. Looking through this post I think I'll stick to never turned one.

i quite like the look of these and i will be turning it at school as their lathe doesnt wobble like mine! and they have good facemasks and aprons

I hope to make some tealight holders or something

just another thing to try tbh

thanks for the help, advice and warnings guys

Turn up a prizewinner, and enter the Competiton Rog ....

You are conspicuous by your absence, so far !

the reason for my absence is that i don't have much time for this site when i have exams to be studying for

wouldnt you agree?? :) :)

roggatismus":37fkowm1 said:
Turn up a prizewinner, and enter the Competiton Rog ....

You are conspicuous by your absence, so far !

the reason for my absence is that i don't have much time for this site when i have exams to be studying for

wouldnt you agree?? :) :)

Absolutely what are you doing on that computer young man, go and revise something at once ! :lol: but the closing date for the compo isnt til august 17 which gives you nearly the whole school holiday - plus you can enter something you've already made if you want ;)

wizer":vn80n4ec said:
mmm as much as I am a fan of Cindy's work, and it is on the nicer side of ugly, I still can't get excited about them.

I'm going to shut up before I get hailed a heretic and stoned... ;)

I agree with you tom - its not hideous but she has made far nicer things from propper wood. What i want to know was who first looked at a bakansia nut and thought " I wonder if i could turn that " :D

roggatismus":2sqw24hd said:
I hope to make some tealight holders or something
Must warn you that trying to turn a tealight holder out of a Banksia nut is perhaps the best way to end up with the biggest pile of irritating dust that is possible from one.

The strength of the nut is in the core, turning a recess for a tealight will take away the maximum amount of support from the fibreous outer which is most likely to disintegrate at the slightest touch.

whats this comp?

how do i enter it?

are there age ranges?

and i will only be taking in a tiny bit for the tea light, there will still be strength in the rest of the core

Just post in THIS THREAD Roggy ... https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 9&start=15

And BSM then knows you're intending to submit an entry ... it can be anything you like, and you decide yourself which category from beginner / intermediate / advanced you wish to enter.

Have a read of the thread and it explains the deadlines etc .... all for a bit of fun, and nothing overly serious ... just intended to make people try to push their own limits a little ... and more importantly, for the fun aspect !

And there's a few prizes up for grabs too.... ! 8) 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back