Not 100% happy with new saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacklabradorman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know I should be over the moon having just acquired a brand new Fox scroll saw from hobbies but I'm having trouble fitting a plain end blade. It seems that no matter what I do as soon as I tension it the blade just pulls out from either the top or the bottom clamp - before I try cutting. :oops:

Anyone seen this problem before :?:

Also the blade clamps seem to swivel slightly so is it imperative to have the blade completely vertical in them before tightening? For accurate cuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards
Sean

There might be a burr inside the jaws of the clamp that is interfering with the grip, it happens from time to time. Try a light sanding. That can also rough up the interior surface and provide a better grip.

Don't know about the swivelling since I don't have that saw.

Blacklabradorman":6x4iveuu said:
Hi everyone, I know I should be over the moon having just acquired a brand new Fox scroll saw from hobbies but I'm having trouble fitting a plain end blade. It seems that no matter what I do as soon as I tension it the blade just pulls out from either the top or the bottom clamp - before I try cutting. :oops:

Anyone seen this problem before :?:

Also the blade clamps seem to swivel slightly so is it imperative to have the blade completely vertical in them before tightening? For accurate cuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards
Sean

Got one myself from the same shop 3 weeks ago. Had the same problem.

OK: here is what I did:-

I slackened off the right hand screw on the bottom holder and, at the same time, screwed in the left hand adjusting screw until it was visible more towards the centre of the holder. It only needs a slight adjustment to do so but did make a difference.
I didnt have a problem with the top holder but suspect you are not getting enough of the blade into the slot. I suggest slackening off the tension knob at the back of the machine so that the holder assembly goes further down. Then insert the blade into the top holder first so that it just passes the screw ends.
You should now be able to slot the other end into the bottom holder and tighten it with the left hand. I can now do this without looking - just feel for it.
Press the blade towards the back of the slots and it will be vertical. The blade clamp swivels actually help to keep the blade strainght in operation as the swivel will make the correction.
I also remove the foot - it just gets in the way and you can keep the wood on the platform with a very slight pressure.
You may find the air blower not very good. I bought a very cheap aquarium air pump and fitted that up to the machine - lots better :)
Hope this helps.

Chris / "Ugs",

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them and let you know.

Glad it wasn't just me - thought I was losing the plot

Cheers
Sean

Hi Sean I was thinking of buying one of those saws, did you manage to sort out the problem and what are your first opinions of the saw. Would you say that it was a good buy?

Regards Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I managed to get the blade to hold after following the suggestions. It is a good saw - much better than my last one and runs very smoothly. The variable speed adjustment means you can find the best speed for reduced vibration.

I'm very new to scrolling but even I managed to make some tightish turns which I couldn't do before. The blade installation is still a little fiddly but once in, disconnecting the top end for internal cuts is easy. I actually removed the dust extraction adapter (as well s the hold down foot) for better access to the bottom blade clamp.

I would say it's definitely a good buy but please don't just take my word for it.

regards
Sean

I'm really pleased you've got it sorted out, Sean. In theory the Fox should be a nifty saw, so it will interesting to hear how you get on with it in the longer term.

It's heart-warming to see so many scrollers helping out one of their fellows with such good advice. That's what this forum is all about! Oh, and showing pictures of what you make ;) :) .

Gill

I will Gill. Once I can make internal cuts which are 'smooth' :oops:

I definitely need more practice with my turns. Thanks for recommending the FD blades though. He sent me a couple of size 3 and they are tiny compared to the olson ones I had. Going to get a selection to work out which ones work best for me...

Regards
Sean

Blacklabradorman":2qxaeik1 said:
Hi Dennis,

I managed to get the blade to hold after following the suggestions. It is a good saw - much better than my last one and runs very smoothly. The variable speed adjustment means you can find the best speed for reduced vibration.

I'm very new to scrolling but even I managed to make some tightish turns which I couldn't do before. The blade installation is still a little fiddly but once in, disconnecting the top end for internal cuts is easy. I actually removed the dust extraction adapter (as well s the hold down foot) for better access to the bottom blade clamp.

I would say it's definitely a good buy but please don't just take my word for it.

regards
Sean

Good - glad to see you got it going :)
I also took the dust extraction off but didnt want to suggest that in case of accidents..
It is easy to feed the blade in from the bottom and only takes a few seconds with practice.
You will notice that the top clamp will swivel up to 90 degrees to give a little more room to "thread" the work onto the blade. When new the clamp may stay up on its own but mine just drops down again now. To fix this I have taped a little bent plastic straw to the top arm. Now when I have reduced the tension and released the blade I can push the end of the bent straw into the back of the clamp which raises it - a one handed job. It then stays there until I have "threaded" through the next hole and then a quick flip on the straw drops the clamp into position again.
If you find the air blower erksome and fiddly then it is better to use an cheap aquarium air pump instead. That way the air supply will be the same and doesnt alter with the speed of the machine.
It does appear to be a good machine and easy to maintain - enjoy :)

Back