UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Established Member
Reaction score
After deciding to do some turning as a hobby, and searching online for a supplier I was delighted to find that the 'Peter Child' premises is only about ten miles away and they have a club too I might join! That's lucky.

But my question, I have just bought a Clarke 37" lather and it comes with a faceplate and a revolving centre - any suggestions about what chuck to get for a beginner? I plan to make some pens and a few bowels - but nothing larger than about 10 inches for a guess??

Regards, Jinx

Hi,
Clarke are not the most highly rated lathes and some cannot accept a chuck. You need to know what the thread size of the headstock spindle is first and then choose your chuck to fit. Then its down to budget really (or luck if you manage to find a decent used one at a good price). A local club is a great source of info and I dont think you could do better than Peter Childs for some good advice.

Hi

Forget the chuck for now - get a pen mandrel so as you can turn a few pens. Use the faceplate to make a glue chuck for bowl turning and do a bit of spindle work between centres.

If, after the above, you find you enjoy turning you will probably be thinking of upgrading the lathe so buy a chuck that suits the upgrade.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back